how do you thaw a hydrant

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
Anybody have any tricks to thaw a water hydrant. My handle on my hydrant is froze and it is supposed to get down to -2 tonight. How do you keep um from freez n. :?:

Thats odd that its froze. It should drain back, unless you have different hydrants than we do.

My hydrant has a valve that sits 8 feet underground. Its actually screwed into the pitless adapter in my well. When I shut the hydrant off, it closes the valve, but opens a drainback valve, emptying the hydrant. In -40, it never freezes up.

People have had the valves give them trouble. IN which case, they simply turn off the pump, release the pressure and pull the pitless adapter. They unscrew the hydrant, thaw it out in the shop, repair/replace the valve, and put it all back together again. Total time about 2 hours. If you're in a hurry, and its only froze towards the top, maybe pouring some boiling water over it would get it running. Once you have it running, put a garden hose on it to dump the water a distance away. Then when it warms up, pull the hydrant up and replace the valve. Or if its not a frost free hydrant, pay the hundred bucks and get one. Its worth every penny :)

Rod

Just the handle that's froze, or can you lift the handle but there's no water? Just the handle freezing is a relatively easy fix; bucket of hot water. Don't force 'em - I do believe I've broken those hydrants before doing that. :roll: (When the weather warmed up afterwards I had a steady stream of water running!) I try to only use the hydrants during the warmer part of the day and not mess with them in the early morning temps.

If the hydrant itself is frozen...well, I have one hydrant, and sometimes two, that do that every winter. Thankfully I have other hydrants on the property - but it does mean I'm running over 200 feet of hose to fill my tanks. :shock: :roll: Good thing a full tank lasts those cows about four days. LOL. Wouldn't want to go through that on a daily basis.

I believe it,s just the handle or something up top froze,The handle won,t move much. I will try hot water tomorrow but we are only supposed to have a high of 12 degrees. I think next summer I better put in a new hydrant :cry: It,s supposed to warm up again tuesday I might have enough water tell than.

Mine will occasionally freeze up. I keep a small propane torch next to it...never takes more than a couple minutes to get it thawed.

do you have a space heater and and a 30 or 55 metal barrel.

cut hole in side of barrel the right height for space heater put barrel over hydrant put space heater up to the hole and turn it on

Clamp a Shop Light with a 150W bulb onto the handle, and point the reflector down right over the hydrant.

I just unthawed one about an hour ago. Hot water works if that fails propane and fire do a good job.

When I was in MI I had a frost free that froze up regular....used a torch many a time to thaw it. If the drainage isn't good you can run into trouble with freeze ups. Finally waited til I had a warmish day and dug mine up and made my drain better. I found if you put a torch to the handle too many times it ruins the whole outfit.
I always started low and worked my way up.

Reminds me why I don't live in MI anymore....oh yeah I traded for freezing rain last night.
M~

Howdy,

Was the hydrant sitting closed and not used? and its frozen?

Then, I would suggest that warmer weather, dig it out, and put a proper depth hydrant in. Sounds like its a shorty.

Open, and being used. Got caught getting frozen due to severe cold snap set in, and I didn't get is shut off in time.. oops. :) Hot water, hot water.... Propane torch.. just not to much flame up around the rod seal at the top of the pipe area. Gasket material, or plastic melts easily. And after you get it un frozen... run water through it for at least 2 mintues or so to flush out the rest of the ice, then shut off and drain out hose too. or disconnect hose from hydrant.

I don't know much about hydrants, but we've used an exhaust hose (kind you'd see the mechanic use in his shop when running a vehicle) pushed over the exhaust pipe on a running pickup to unthaw electric waterers (uses the heat from the vehicle's exhaust to thaw when you run the other end to the frozen waterer base).

Now we just make sure we have heat tape down the waterline and plugged in during the winter.

Sure hope you're making progress with your hydrant.

Lots luck and take care.

We use a hydrant and have a couple of tricks - CA has the best option to thaw in my opinion. Provided you do not use what we use. If you use this family's method, it will thaw out the hydrant in about an hour.

To prevent freezing - and yes they freeze if the frost goes too far down - or if the temp is cold enough to cause the water to freeze as it runs back down through the drain.

Our hydrant has one of those blue juice barrels over top of the hydrant.

Cut a thin groove in the bottom of the barrel and slide it over the top of the hydrant.

Cut a hole that will allow you to slip the power cord from a heat lamp through the lid of the barrel.

I use some silicone to seal the hole and hold the heat lamp in place - inside the barrel. Or you can knot the power cord to prevent the lamp from sliding too far down inside the barrel.

Put the lid on the barrel and plug in the heat lamp.

Just remove the lid to attach the hose - the lamp will come out when you take the lid off - simple and VERY effective.

Replace the lid and plug the lamp back into the power outlet.

Keeps my hydrant from freezing up in temps as low as minus 40 and more.

Regards,

Bez!

Bez, maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're going to do that and you have an electrical outlet handy why not heat tape to prevent freezing in the first place? I'm not all that familiar with heat tape, so I'm probably missing something.

msscamp":2p2dg0kq said:
Bez, maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're going to do that and you have an electrical outlet handy why not heat tape to prevent freezing in the first place? I'm not all that familiar with heat tape, so I'm probably missing something.

The heat tape does not always keep the handle portion thawed.

As well, the length of the heat tape would require me to double wrap or bury the extra part.

Double wrap and bury is not reccommended.

Otherwise, I simply used what was on hand and did not have to spend the money to buy one. They are cheap, but I kept the couple of bucks in my pocket.

I also believe the lamp is cheaper to operate than a heat tape - no proof - just an opinion.

There ya' go.

:lol:

Bez!

Bez!":1izml5av said:
msscamp":1izml5av said:

As well, the length of the heat tape would require me to double wrap or bury the extra part.

Otherwise, I simply used what was on hand and did not have to spend the money to buy one. They are cheap, but I kept the couple of bucks in my pocket.

I also believe the lamp is cheaper to operate than a heat tape - no proof - just an opinion.

There ya' go.

Bez!

I knew about the double wrap and burying parts, but couldn't remember if heat tape came in different lengths as it's been a while since I've had to deal with it. The rest of your points are also very valid - I understand where you are coming from. Thanks for responding! :)

msscamp":sz7bbtnk said:
Bez!":sz7bbtnk said:
msscamp":sz7bbtnk said:

There ya' go.

Bez!

I knew about the double wrap and burying parts, but couldn't remember if heat tape came in different lengths as it's been a while since I've had to deal with it. The rest of your points are also very valid - I understand where you are coming from. Thanks for responding! :)

Well, I am about to say something that might cause a few chuckles.

My hydrant is so short that I would be forced to double wrap it no matter what length of tape I might buy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bez!

Maybe I am dumb cracker, but, what is a hydrant? A fire hydrant? You have your own? I am so confused....

RebelCritter":gqts3kkv said:
Maybe I am dumb cracker, but, what is a hydrant? A fire hydrant? You have your own? I am so confused....
It's what you connect the "Hose Pipe" to_Or in other terms, water hose, garden hose, etc.Ask Bez for further details on hydrants... ;-)

RebelCritter":13peymbt said:
Howdy,

In colder area's, you want to still have water service. So the hydrant is called a frostproof, or no-freeze etc... It has different bury depths. The idea is to have it buried deep enough below the frost line. When you shut it off, the water actually drains out of the upper section of pipe. It drains thru a hole down at the bottom. mother nature keeps it warm enough down deep to not freeze. Below is a picture.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/modely34.htm

If the hydrant ou are speaking of is a freeze proof hydrant. Remember - you can not leave a hose hooked up to it as it will not let the water drain out when shut off.

RGV

Latest posts