How do you tell when a steer is finished ?

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I weighed a steer and it weighed 980. How do you know when they are finished? ADG was 2.28 on 12 lbs 13% corn/corn gluten a day for 90 days. I plan to ramp over to straight corn.

RAWCJW":3oq5prer said:
I weighed a steer and it weighed 980. How do you know when they are finished? ADG was 2.28 on 12 lbs 13% corn/corn gluten a day for 90 days. I plan to ramp over to straight corn.
id say at 980lbs you need to putt 220lbs on him to finish him out.wdg is great for the amount of feed he is eating.

Cattle usually put on fat from front to back.

Look for some pawns/gobs of fat around the pin bones.

I would feed him Ad libitum for the last 30-60 days.

depending on the breed you can usually tell if a steer is finished by looking at the brisket. should be full or heavy looking. a sure fire way is to see a fat pocket develop at the tail head section of the calf. the topline of the calf should be flat with a dimple appearing at the middle of the backline. sides of the calf along the ribs and rear quarters should be dimpled. at the moment i have two steers and a heifer that weigh about 1000 lbs. and are eating 20#/day. they are pretty much on full feed. they're getting corn, ddg's and soyhulls at about a 10.5% protien level, plus all the hay they care to eat. the heifer should finish out between 1150 and 1200 lsb. , steers should finish out between 1300 and 1350 lbs. i say that from past experience with my own animals, knowing there genetics, frame size and feed schedule. yours will probable be different. imo there's nothing magic about 1200 lbs.

ROB

If this guy is one of your Highlands his weight is good enough as is. Look for fat at the tail head and a flat back. If he has got them he is ready!

We always look at the amount of fat in the nut sack. That is of course if the steer wasn't banded.

He is a pure highland,but he doesn,t look real filled out to me. I'll try to get apic on here tomorrow maybe you guys can tell from it.

Latest posts