How do you select the bull(s) you are going to breed to?

Help Support CattleToday:

cbcr":1l1sc9d9 said:
I have another question. When making the choice on a bull for crosbreeding would you get more hybred vigor using a line bred bull on line bred cows? And then what would be the effect of crossing non related progeny?

Linebreeding is a form of inbreeding in which an attempt is made to concentrate the inheritance of some favored ancestor in descendants within a herd. The average relationship of the individuals in the herd to this ancestor is increased by linebreeding, but at the cost of an increased level of inbreeding.

While a linebred animal can be important in the creation of a composite animal. As in the difinition above a linebred animal is bred for certain desirable trait(s) and with the breeding concentration it is expected that that trait is above average for consistency.

But in the case of (Composite, Hybrid, Crossbred) animals hybrid vigor is much higher when unrelated animals are mated.
I understand line breeding.
I don't know if you answered the question. I may have asked it wrong.
I am talking of crossing 2 line bred animals of different breeds. Bos Indicus X Bos Taurus. Would there be an increase because they are linebred.

In theory (somebody has to have measured this at some point) crossing a linebred Hereford times a linebred Brahman is going to have more hybrid "kick" than a typical Hereford x Brahman mating. My suspicion is that that improvement is so small to be almost unnoticable unless you are carefully measuring for it. I suspect there is also an improvement in uniformity in the F1 offspring.

Brandonm22":zcxdlbtu said:
In theory (somebody has to have measured this at some point) crossing a linebred Hereford times a linebred Brahman is going to have more hybrid "kick" than a typical Hereford x Brahman mating. My suspicion is that that improvement is so small to be almost unnoticable unless you are carefully measuring for it. I suspect there is also an improvement in uniformity in the F1 offspring.
Your suspicion goes along with information I got from the angus assocition, Hereford assocition and the Simmenthal assocition. My question to each of them was if there would be any noticable heterosis in crossing linebred familys within their respective breed. The answer from all 3 was it would be so slight as to be undectible

The linebred animal has been bred so for one of two reasons, pedigree (to certain animal) or because of traits that certain animals may posses. Hopfully those desirable traits are then more concentrated in the linebred animal.

So if you cross a linebred Angus to a linebred Simmental or any other breed, you will still have the maximum amount of heterosis.

But take a linebred Angus and mated to a linebred Simmental/Angus (and if the Angus part also posses some of the linebred Angus genetics) there will be a slight reduction in heterosis.

The greatest amount of heterosis is mating two unrelated animals.

Your suspicion goes along with information I got from the angus assocition, Hereford assocition and the Simmenthal assocition. My question to each of them was if there would be any noticable heterosis in crossing linebred familys within their respective breed. The answer from all 3 was it would be so slight as to be undectible
You can get some heterosis crossing linebred families within their respective breed. However almost nobody maintains families in there breed. Before AI was so common you would see herds with higher inbreeding coefficients, and they would have cattle with "type". You could tell the old emulous cattle from the Wye cattle from the Rito cattle. Unless you are talking about something with a bunch of deleterious alleles, like corn (or poorly bred animals), noticeable heterosis is going to be hard to come by.

Latest posts