How do you protect your livestock on the range from becoming instant highway hamburger?

Help Support CattleToday:

In the model underpass as I have shown, it's a question of who owns, constructs, operates and maintains this infrastructure. In my example, there has to be enough bridge clearance for mounted horsemen and off-road vehicles. My example has 12 feet of head room. In my fictitious, example, it's pretended county property that that trail with the underpass runs through. Migrating wild animals and recreational trail users also benefit from this underpass. Each one of those 65'-long steel bridges in the real world might cost over $100K each to build. The underpass trail had to be excavated below ground level and reinforced with concrete in the bridge area. My example also has a pump house nearby to keep the underpass from flooding during heavy rains and snow melt-off from the nearby mountains. The model railroad county (Squatch County, Mondaho, United States of America) fictitiously maintains the sump pump for flood control. There is a sump and a grate where waters collects below the floor of the underpass at its lowest elevation. The pump gets its electricity from the nearby power lines running on telephone poles along the railroad line.
all very red of you - Chairman Mao would be proud.

p.s.
Included as community benefit, access was also for the benefit hunters and recreational use --- to trespass on my property from one side to the other.

Last edited:
The RR is responsible for maintaining the fence along the tracks. They do a terrible job of that. They have been quoted to say it is cheaper to buy an occasional cow that they kill than to fix all the fence. A friend who lives beside the track told me that if the train hits one a 300 pound rat tail heifer turns into a 600 pound prize steer. And the RR pays for the steer.

Sale barns and auction houses do, paid by the seller.
Cattle company buyers are paid on commission by the company.
In your mind what is a cattle broker?
A middleman (third party, agent) who buys and sells livestock. Something like a "stock" broker. I have the real estate and automobile trades in mind but the cow business might be different than selling homes and cars. Are cattle buyers as shrewd as horse traders are reputed to be?

Last edited:
all very red of you - Chairman Mao would be proud.

p.s.
Included as community benefit, access was also for the benefit hunters and recreational use --- to trespass on my property from one side to the other.

On my model RR layout, that is actually public property, the county, where the cattle go under the bridges. The local ranchers just use the public trail system to move stock on the hoof. The barbed wire is also maintained by the make-believe county. Your county tax dollars hard at work.

A real-world example of what I have on my model train layout would probably not be the cheapest solution for a cattle/animal/people/vehicle crossing in a rural area but the safest. It prevents the disruption of road and rail traffic as well.

Like I said earlier I have several neighbors who have land on both sides of a main RR track. I forget how many trains are supposed to go past here in a day but it is a lot They simply call the number and the RR operator tells them when there are no trains coming. It isn't rocket science and it doesn't cost the tax payers a dime.

I don't own cows and never will. I personally won't have to worry about livestock, I don't even have, crossing roads. For those who own cows needing to cross roads, I will let them duke it out with whatever public or private entities who maintain the livestock crossing provisions.

Latest posts