How do you know ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Laram

Reaction score
Hi all new to the group. So we recently acquired some longhorns, do not know much about them except they are extremely good pets and love their ears rubbed .
We got them In April and one had her calf on May 12th she still has yet to come in heat and I'm unsure why? We also have another one that just turned two so we got a bull from the person we got them from and she went into heat once when he first got here And She seems to be in heat again but he wants nothing to do with her she keeps licking him and trying to mount him and backing up to him but he isn't responding. And why hasn't the mamma gone into heat ? Her baby is four months old now so I would assume it's time.
Thoughts?

It's possible that she has debris in her uterus from calving that prevents her from coming into heat. It's also possible she's already been in heat and gotten pregnant again without you noticing. Your bull might only work at night. Maybe he doesn't work at all. You need a vet to check them out if you want to know for sure what's going on.

It is time but mother nature has her own way of doing things. Lots of things can make a difference such as age, body score, nutrition, lack of minerals, weather, the difficulty of having her last calf and on and on. She is not that far off schedule yet.

Now your bull may be a problem. He may have an injury or a lack of libido.

I should have also noted this is the young bulls first time as well. Thank you for the responses I'm just driving myself crazy watching them non stop 😆

Laram said:
I should have also noted this is the young bulls first time as well. Thank you for the responses I'm just driving myself crazy watching them non stop 😆

Longhorns are really shy. Stop watching them all the time and they will get down to business. :D

Latest posts