How do you guys do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv4

Reaction score
Now I'm not trying to start anything with this. I thought maybe you guys have some kind of new technology that I don't know about that I might want to check into.

You guys that your ranch is your jobs, how do you spend all day on the computer. Do you have computers in your trucks and tractors? Automatic mending fences? Cows that vaccinate themselves? And all the other little things that you have to do everyday are they on automatic systems?

I walk in the office every once in a while and check email when it says you have mail. During lunchbreak I usually check the internet out. But other than that during daylight I'm busy doing work.

So if you have some great invention please let me know, I would love to try it. :lol: :lol:

REMEMBER: I'm looking for info. not trying to start something. Just want to make sure that I'm not doing something that I don't have to be doing. OK. Well I gotta go back to work.

Well, I've been online a fair bit lately because we were getting so much moisture for the last month there wasn't much I could get done outside.

Hayfields were too wet to haul the hay off of. Home fences are up and tight. Cattle are almost all across the river, and it's running it's banks, so not going to swim the horse across to check them right now.

However, the weather took a change for the better over the last couple of days, and expect to be tied up for a while moving hay, hopefully can get on the fields tomorrow. Once the hay is off the fields, will get the fences on those quarters up and ready for the cows. Then on Oct. 2, will be fording that river to bring my cows across and trailing them home. Then the next weekend I'll gather my man's cattle and bring them across the river and trail them home (we have our herds in two seperate locations and he's guiding up north trying to make some money to pay his bills). Of course there will be a few weeks of riding off and on doing sweeps to make sure that the strays get gathered out of the river breaks.

So basically, sometimes it's very busy here (calving, branding, fencing, haying, moving hay, starting colts, moving cattle), but sometimes there's not much to be done outside and I go online after the housework and chores are done to see what's going on in the rest of the world.

Hope that answers your question, at least pertaining to myself.

Take care.

rgv4":dean32jw said:
Now I'm not trying to start anything with this. I thought maybe you guys have some kind of new technology that I don't know about that I might want to check into.

You guys that your ranch is your jobs, how do you spend all day on the computer. Do you have computers in your trucks and tractors? Automatic mending fences? Cows that vaccinate themselves? And all the other little things that you have to do everyday are they on automatic systems?

I walk in the office every once in a while and check email when it says you have mail. During lunchbreak I usually check the internet out. But other than that during daylight I'm busy doing work.

So if you have some great invention please let me know, I would love to try it. :lol: :lol:

REMEMBER: I'm looking for info. not trying to start something. Just want to make sure that I'm not doing something that I don't have to be doing. OK. Well I gotta go back to work.

I am not a big boy, full time rancher. Semi Retarded oops meant retired I work with these new fangled computers have the web site pulled up. When I am at the Ranch I work mainly nights on everything except the cows easier on the equipment and me.

Daily chores and cattle/horse inspections take about 2 hours a day, rain or shine. Twice yearly vaccinations & branding as needed take about 2 days max. Pasture mowing about once every 2-3 months to knock down weeds...about 2-3 days mowing each time. Trips to town for materials, supplies probably average 4 hours a week. Occasional "emergency" to take care of.

Fences new and in top shape. Water plentiful. Hay in barn (have it delivered and stacked for us as needed).

Paperwork, computerized stock records, advertising, daily record-keeping probably take one day a week.

All totaled, probably don't work more than 3-5 hours a day max. on average. No other job to worry about. Our place is pretty much self-sufficient.

I spend at least a couple of hours a day at my office, so I have plenty of opportunity to check my e-mail (for business also) while I'm returning calls, and waiting for call backs.

At night I'm generally online to talk to friends. If you look at the times on a lot of the posts, you'll see a lot of us post late at night

There can't be more than 1 or 2 hours of work in a day here during the off season - hay is done, grain and straw is done, no weaning or vaccinating for another 2 months.

Fences are up and tight. Pastures holfing out. Just waiting for winter.

Otherwise I get my girls to do the rest of the stuff.

Regards

Bez

Latest posts