how do you get them to drink at a show?

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
Our girl's barn nickname is "water princess" because she has to have her bucket filled perfectly and perfectly clean to drink it. if not, she turns on her water. and laps it straight from the hose. (Its covered now so she cant get to it)
when we go to shows, she will barely drink the water. It hasn't been a huge issue because we are usually home the same day or next day, then she goes crazy to drink water when back in her stall.

my concern is going to a week long show. what is your trick for getting them to drink strange water?

thanks!

She will drink if she gets thirsty enough. Now since its a show, you don't want her looking dehydrated I would add just enough sugar to get her interested

Are you on a community water system or a well at home? If you are on a well you may want to add a few drops of chlorine bleach to the water trough. Another trick that worked for me was to draw up water at the show and let it sit for 12 hours or more to dissapate the chlorine smell. Sometimes some lime jello in the water also worked.

When I was showing, I had problems with water as well because our home water is very pure and clean and our fair has water with chlorine in it. A water filter is a must in my opinion. You can buy filters that go right on the end of a garden hose and are perfect for using at shows. The best option is to bring water from home in five gallon water containers. That seemed to be the best solution for me.

My club usually brings a few cans of soda to every show. If she's not drinking pour a little soda in the water and if that doesn't work try getting her used to drinking purified water at home then bring a portable purifier to the fairs.

When at home pour a bit of molasses in the water and leave her to drink it however long it takes, repeat this process every day for two weeks before a show and if you add molasses to water at the show she'll have no problem drinking it.

Coke also works, just more expensive. Salt in the mouth before leaving for the show works in a pinch.

By far the best method is to move the drinking pail or whatever you use to water her to a new location every day, making subtle changes to how the water tastes and leading her to water for her to drink until she basically drinks on command.

KNERSIE":huxh1w74 said:
When at home pour a bit of molasses in the water and leave her to drink it however long it takes, repeat this process every day for two weeks before a show and if you add molasses to water at the show she'll have no problem drinking it.

Coke also works, just more expensive. Salt in the mouth before leaving for the show works in a pinch.

By far the best method is to move the drinking pail or whatever you use to water her to a new location every day, making subtle changes to how the water tastes and leading her to water for her to drink until she basically drinks on command.

Good ideas.....There's no sbustitute for experience! :tiphat:

Kool-Aid (w/sugar) same as the molasses process Knersie stated. We used the molasses trick when I was a kid, it worked, the Kool-Aid dissolves easier.
If you are really worried about it you can haul water with you, at least for show day so you know she will drink.

Gatoraid works like a charm, covers up the clorine smell/taste especially if they are used to it plus the electrolites are very good for them in staying hydrated in stress and heat. Little trick we picked up from folks that show pigs that are even worse about water and can get badly dehydrated in a hurry.

Latest posts