how do you do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
I'm into my first experience of fall calving. So far I have had 8 calves, seen and tagged 3, the rest are hidden by their monnas. I have always calved in the winter, in a barn and always known where the calves are. I'm am laughing at my self, because I am a control freak and I can't control this. Evindentyl (sp) everything is ok, because the monnas have been sucked, just don't know where the calves are in the buckbrush and fescue. Oh well, maybe I'll find the rest of them and get them tagged. gs

Think of it as a game of hot and cold. We used to walk near the love grass and you'd see a cow perk her ears up and you'd know you were close. :lol:

I haven't tagged anything since the end of April. I haven't had the need to pen them and it isn't that important right now to do it, especially in this heat. It will get done in time.

"Think of it as a game of hot and cold. We used to walk near the love grass and you'd see a cow perk her ears up and you'd know you were close. :lol:
Yep a tried & true method of finding a "lost" calf we use it here as well, but it doesn't always work as we have 1 cow in particular that will lead us on a merry dance trying to find her calf, this cow will glance around & smell the air & go back to eating we followed her this year right past the calf & she didn't let on we passed the calf.

Loch Valley Fold":19hcjtwa said:
"Think of it as a game of hot and cold. We used to walk near the love grass and you'd see a cow perk her ears up and you'd know you were close. :lol:
Yep a tried & true method of finding a "lost" calf we use it here as well, but it doesn't always work as we have 1 cow in particular that will lead us on a merry dance trying to find her calf, this cow will glance around & smell the air & go back to eating we followed her this year right past the calf & she didn't let on we passed the calf.

She should go into poker. :lol:

Find your cows. Hide in the grass. Bawl like a calf. Follow mama in the direction she heads off in. Mama will lead you to within 50 feet of baby. :cowboy:

Red Bull Breeder":15wo870d said:
You can take a dog with you one that will do alot of running around. But this method could be hazzardous.
My cow hand is a 10 year old golden retriver that only runs to ride on my ATV. She has helped me chore for years, and never gets off, cuz' she's afraid of the cows. I'm just going to try to not worry and make some changes next year. How dumb could a plumber be to not think of clipping the calving pasture? The simplest tip can sure make a difference. gs

I used to work for a plumber, never learned to like it. Early and late they will go let the calves suck. If you can spend the time to watch them.

is screw worm season over yet. i thought it went to 9-1. my son has cattle in nw mo & lost two to screw worms a week or two ago. we usually spray navel with srew worm spray til 9-1, good luck

Red Bull Breeder":12vbzowz said:
I used to work for a plumber, never learned to like it. Early and late they will go let the calves suck. If you can spend the time to watch them.
jerry27150":12vbzowz said:
is screw worm season over yet. i thought it went to 9-1. my son has cattle in nw mo & lost two to screw worms a week or two ago. we usually spray navel with srew worm spray til 9-1, good luck
You're right, the cows are sucked, I don't think I have lost any, just don't know where they're all at. Some of my helpers don't like plumbing either. Thanks Jerry, now I can worry about screw worms. Never knew that was a problem. gs

plumber_greg":fv8v252c said:
I'm into my first experience of fall calving. So far I have had 8 calves, seen and tagged 3, the rest are hidden by their monnas. I have always calved in the winter, in a barn and always known where the calves are. I'm am laughing at my self, because I am a control freak and I can't control this. Evindentyl (sp) everything is ok, because the monnas have been sucked, just don't know where the calves are in the buckbrush and fescue. Oh well, maybe I'll find the rest of them and get them tagged. gs

Heifers weren't given the option of hiding their calf - we penned them when they got close to calving. As for the cows, so long as Mom was being nursed we didn't worry about it - she always brought her calf in eventually, and we snagged and tagged at that time.

Aaron":2tqb4v2d said:
Find your cows. Hide in the grass. Bawl like a calf. Follow mama in the direction she heads off in. Mama will lead you to within 50 feet of baby. :cowboy:

:D I got a bleating fawn call that was supposed to call in coyotes. I guess it sounded somewhat like a calf in distress because the first time I used it in the cow pasture, a herd of about 30 cows came storming over a hill toward me. Luckily, they stopped when they saw it was just me.

Latest posts