How do you cook a pork shank?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I'm inexperienced with pork, especially fresh pork, and I have parts of stuff in there I don't know what to do with. So how do you cook a pork shank?

And to share something we learned about sausage: This guy where Steve works told us to take a package of that sausage just out of the tube like it is and smoke it until it's 140 degrees. Slices like a meatloaf and boy was it good. I am not a big sausage fan, but this made me like it. We got out's medium spicey. It's just about right.

Lammie, that is known in the barbecue circle as "smoking a fattie". Whole different meaning than back in the 70's, huh? :oops:

Our pork shanks get cured along with the hams and bacon, so we cook them in a pot of pinto, navy or great northern beans. It would depend if they are cured or not how to use them.

Boil it for 1.5 - 2 hours with sauer kraut. Get the sauer kraut in the cooler section, not in a can. Some salt and peeper. It is fantastic, one of my families favorites. :nod:

Lammie do it the same way you would pork ribs a pork roast or a ham. Slow roast on low temp (around 300) whether in you do it in your oven or BBQ.

Use your favorite sauce, I love a homemade tomato sauce that I created and is great on ribs and on any pork. To get full flavor and not lose the texture of the meat it is suggested to not boil ahead. A lot like to use just spices or even an orange, pineapple glaze. Serve with what ever you enjoy, the most popular side for pork is apples or apple sauce but use what you like ,,it is worth doing you will love it. ;-)

Angie, my mom makes it the same as you even with the kraut..I have never appreciated the whole kraut thing and I have German heritage. :lol:

I think if I even had sauer kraut in the house Mr. Hd would throw me out.. ;-) I do love my borscht soup though.. :nod:

I agree with what everyone has said about cooking it slowly. It is a very lean piece of meat but the flesh is much different than most other cuts but it is really good when done right. Most of the time we cure ours then use it in a pot of greens or beans or something.

Latest posts