How do you ....? "By yourself"

Help Support CattleToday:

memanpa":2jjy92iw said:
i built a 2 wheel 1 shaft trailer for my quad, put a retainer on each side to hold the roll in place, on one side i put a spring to hold a little presure against the roll and head off!! works for me!!

That is another great Idea. I never thought of the spring. I have "shims" on either sode of my bar to keep the roll from binding on the ends. But I like the thought of the spring. Thanks

certherfbeef":3952jzvj said:
memanpa":3952jzvj said:
i built a 2 wheel 1 shaft trailer for my quad, put a retainer on each side to hold the roll in place, on one side i put a spring to hold a little presure against the roll and head off!! works for me!!

That is another great Idea. I never thought of the spring. I have "shims" on either sode of my bar to keep the roll from binding on the ends. But I like the thought of the spring. Thanks

That's what we use the disks for, also keeps the wire from jumpoing the end of the spool and getting tangled around the shaft

dun

We have a trailer that you can pull behind anything from lawnmower, ATV, truck, tractor etc. It has 3 bars sticking strait up with a plate on the bottom. Put the rolls on the bars and drive off. There is enough friction on the plate to keep the wire from spinning off and tangling up.

hmm.. We took a chunk of 6' long 1/2" deep 18" wide steel plate and welded (6) 12" chunks of shaft vertically. (space at every 6 inches) Put a disk the bottom of each shaft chunk then the wire roll. Works great for us! I will try to get a picture or something.

OH! almost forgot... we bolt this rig down to the back of one of our flatbed pickups.

Put a short shaft in the back hole of pickup bed put old disc blade on with curve going down put another blade on with curve go up then put on roll of barb wire the top disc blade turns the botom blade stays still. Be careful you might scratch
the fancy paint job (For those that have them)

J":3stg6gqg said:
I was just wondering if anybody had a way to unroll barb wire when building new fence by themselves. I generally work better alone but fencing can turn into a nightmare when you are talking about a long distance.

On my last cross fence I bought a supposedly one-man jobber at TSC. It hooks inside one end of the roll and you hold it with one hand while you walk. It works great but trying to carry a new roll by yourself with one hand, kinda out away from your leg gets pretty rough. I had my wife help me with the new rolls but after you get a little wire off of them it is great.

Just thought I'd ask. :)

J I took 2 old 18" disc welded one to a piece of all thread and a nut with a lock nut on the other disc. The barb wire is in between the 2 discs very easy to pull off. The all thread is drilled for lynch pins and I carry it on the tractor lift arms

sidney411":zvciraa3 said:
We have a trailer that you can pull behind anything from lawnmower, ATV, truck, tractor etc. It has 3 bars sticking strait up with a plate on the bottom. Put the rolls on the bars and drive off. There is enough friction on the plate to keep the wire from spinning off and tangling up.

We have something similar. Metal bar serves as trailer hitch (to a 1 7/8" ball), two small metal wheels welded to bar, with a shaft extending straight up. Drop the roll on the shaft sideways and go!

I use a tractor one similar to Caustic and for the places where I can't get the tractor I use the lawn mower handle bars like Milesvb.
Dave

J":be6lxmoq said:
milesvb":be6lxmoq said:
J":be6lxmoq said:
I was just wondering if anybody had a way to unroll barb wire when building new fence by themselves. I generally work better alone but fencing can turn into a nightmare when you are talking about a long distance.

On my last cross fence I bought a supposedly one-man jobber at TSC. It hooks inside one end of the roll and you hold it with one hand while you walk. It works great but trying to carry a new roll by yourself with one hand, kinda out away from your leg gets pretty rough. I had my wife help me with the new rolls but after you get a little wire off of them it is great.

Just thought I'd ask. :)

I use an old lawnmower handle with a length of allthread through the pivot holes. I just pull it along behind me.

I tried the gadget you bought J , it tangled in my jeans and the barbs cut right down to the meat. I now have two really neat scars on the side of my leg. I think that gadget is off in the brush somewhere, I don't really care where it landed.

I like the sound of your invention there milesvb. I think I might have one of those handles you are talking about, maybe that is the answer to my dilema. The other ways posted sound good too but I don't have an ATV. I have tried the tractor way but it seemed like my wire kept getting tangled up and after a few times of getting up and down that got old fast.

I do the same thing cept I took two lids off 5 gallon buckets and then cut two circles out of plywood slightly smaller than the bucket lids. Drill little center holes in these so you can slide them on the all thread.

Then I sandwhich the roll between the bucket lids and plywood and clamp it down with some washers and nuts on the all thread.

Now your assembly rolls along on the bucket lids so your wire doesnt pick up all kinds of leaves and crap.
The plastic gives enough flex to allow the wire out yet keeps it from unraveling when you don't want it to.

aztumbleweed":200prylx said:
I give it to the Mexican fence crew and go back later to see they are done. Seems to work fine. :D

Now there's a smart man! He knows how to delegate authority. ;-)

Latest posts