How do Ya'll do it

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":1tickfbl said:
I find the cold weather invigorating and refreshing, especially when I'm dragging the 100ft hose out to the frozen cow tank and other calf waterers, and especially when I have to take the sledgehammer and break up the ponds, it is just so much fun, I just love it. The tingly feeling my fingers get when my gloves get wet, and frozen, the way my eyeglasses fog up constantly when I go in and out, I mean really how much more fun can this cold weather be?

GMN ;-)

When I broke ice this morning my gloves got wet and I touched the fence on my way past. Fingers really got cold when the glove got ripped off since it was frozen fast to the fence.
Times like this my wife says, "Tell me again why we do this".

Sorry for sending this into the tank, but here goes. The worst part about weather this cold is when you have to pee. Six inches of clothes and frosty hands just don't go together. It's kinda like lookin' for a button on a fur coat in the dark. :shock:

sidney411":19s9s26t said:
How do you keep everything from freezing, like your water lines and well lines and such?

Bury them below the frost line - in my area, that's 4-6 feet deep - break the ice every morning, throw the ice out of the tank, make sure the float is free so the tank will refill, and check them at night to make sure the float is free in case the tank has refroze, and the cattle or horses have licked/chewed a hole in the ice. As long as the water level is where it should be, the inlet pipe will not freeze even at temps of -30 or so.

GMN":dguxjhma said:
I find the cold weather invigorating and refreshing, especially when I'm dragging the 100ft hose out to the frozen cow tank and other calf waterers, and especially when I have to take the sledgehammer and break up the ponds, it is just so much fun, I just love it. The tingly feeling my fingers get when my gloves get wet, and frozen, the way my eyeglasses fog up constantly when I go in and out, I mean really how much more fun can this cold weather be?

GMN ;-)

Well, your glasses could fog up when you walk out from behind a shed and the sun hits them - that's always fun, and it was cold enough here yesterday (or was it the day before?) for that to happen to me. Then there is always the fun of having to take a frozen waterer apart (especially if it's plastic) to try to thaw out the inlet pipe so it will refill. Metal waterers are bad enough, but at least you don't have to worry about the shatter factor like you do with plastic waterers. There is no end to the fun that winter and frigid temps can produce! :lol: :lol:

How do I do it???? With a healthy diet of coffee and complaining.
It was -10 here the other day, not sure what the wind chill was. I don't own a tractor with a cab on it. Hell I don't even own a tractor with padding on the steel seat. Gonna have to start carrying a spatula to scrape my frozen carharts from the seat.

Could use a little of that cold here.
Currently 76 and 100% Humidity.
Still worken up a sweat.
Be nice to have a ten degree cold front bout now. :tiphat:

ROCK-N-W":19fiko47 said:
Could use a little of that cold here.
Currently 76 and 100% Humidity.
Still worken up a sweat.
Be nice to have a ten degree cold front bout now. :tiphat:

I do feel sorry for you as I could not see sweating like that in January. :wave:

Latest posts