How do ya like my new bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

shanel

Reaction score
newbull006.jpg
newbull007.jpg
newbull004.jpg

He's 2 yr.old
He's reg.blk angus and i couldn't get him to stand for a decent picture.
I bought him for a terminal angus bull,bw+2.8 ww+56 yw+95 milk +30

IMO he looks not too bad, at least from the angle of the photos you have. But I would like to see him at a better angle, more like him being more broad-side so that where he is facing is perpendicular to where you have your camera aimed at, and position yourself right at the point of his shoulder. It also helps if you kneel down on one knee with him about 10 feet away, and your back is to the sun.

If I didn't explain this correctly, I'll let someone with more knowledge in this department explain it better for you.

He looks useful. I'd like to see him a little bit thicker/deeper towards the back but it could just be the angle of the pic too.

He looks like a decent terminal angus bull, thicker than most and quite correct with no obvious flaws.

ANAZAZI":1cc3jecq said:
He looks like a decent terminal angus bull, thicker than most and quite correct with no obvious flaws.

If that's a pure Angus bull how can you say he has no obvious flaws. His sheath alone is way below acceptable, is it not. Even from these pictures you can see that he is very high flanked ,and does not display musch capacity.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd I ain't sayin NUTHIN about his rear end.

3waycross":3mx3v65h said:
ANAZAZI":3mx3v65h said:

If that's a pure Angus bull how can you say he has no obvious flaws. His sheath alone is way below acceptable, is it not. Even from these pictures you can see that he is very high flanked ,and does not display musch capacity.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd I ain't sayin NUTHIN about his rear end.
yep, looks like there something else beside angus......and if there is what do you hope to gain ...

Looks decent. What coming 2 year old? When he fills out he will have PLENTY of round.

When analyzing or judging an animal, one uses the information that is right in front of your face at the moment - not some subjective assumption that he will have PLENTY of round when he fills out! He might be thicker, have a wider rear stance, have a more masculine head, more of a crest, heavier bone and he might even have a wider, more dished face - WHEN he fills out. But we are judging him right NOW, and he has several 'flaws' - right NOW, which have been alluded to -right NOW.

We must judge seedstock AS THEY ARE at the moment. We can hope, wish, assume, pretend that they are something that they are not, and the only result that will achieve is a disappointment later on when the genes dictate what the ultimate end will reveal.

Beef breeding and manipulating genes is a tough business, and being "barn blind" and wishing for the best by "waiting to see what happens" gets you NO WHERE! My suggestion is for breeder's to get as much information regarding analysis and judging seedstock beef animals as possible, establish a PERFECT ANIMAL PATTERN or TEMPLATE in your mind's eye, and THEN compare every animal that you see to that PERFECT PATTERN. If it is satisfactory to you for your model, then you know what you have. If it is NOT up to the model that you have for your PERFECT EXAMPLE, determine WHY it doesn't come up to your expectations, and look for one that DOES fit the pattern!

This bull DOES NOT fit my mental image of a herd improving seedstock breeding bull - for several of the reasons I have mentioned above! And I have not mentioned ALL of them.

Don't get mad. Get EDUCATIED!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2c0881bx said:
When analyzing or judging an animal, one uses the information that is right in front of your face at the moment - not some subjective assumption that he will have PLENTY of round when he fills out! He might be thicker, have a wider rear stance, have a more masculine head, more of a crest, heavier bone and he might even have a wider, more dished face - WHEN he fills out. But we are judging him right NOW, and he has several 'flaws' - right NOW, which have been alluded to -right NOW.

We must judge seedstock AS THEY ARE at the moment. We can hope, wish, assume, pretend that they are something that they are not, and the only result that will achieve is a disappointment later on when the genes dictate what the ultimate end will reveal.

Beef breeding and manipulating genes is a tough business, and being "barn blind" and wishing for the best by "waiting to see what happens" gets you NO WHERE! My suggestion is for breeder's to get as much information regarding analysis and judging seedstock beef animals as possible, establish a PERFECT ANIMAL PATTERN or TEMPLATE in your mind's eye, and THEN compare every animal that you see to that PERFECT PATTERN. If it is satisfactory to you for your model, then you know what you have. If it is NOT up to the model that you have for your PERFECT EXAMPLE, determine WHY it doesn't come up to your expectations, and look for one that DOES fit the pattern!

This bull DOES NOT fit my mental image of a herd improving seedstock breeding bull - for several of the reasons I have mentioned above! And I have not mentioned ALL of them.

DOC HARRIS

Why do I get a Cattlemax software ad popping up right over part of DOC's post? or is it just my computer somehow? Now when I copied it to do this post the ad is gone.....??????

DOC HARRIS":1mo565vb said:

DOC HARRIS

Doc, while I agree that he is not my mental image of what a bull should be, he did say this bull was for terminal use. You are correct that it wouldn't be a good choice for seedstock though, at least that is my opinion as well. :nod:

Latest posts