How do I milk a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have too much trouble with the old girl a little sedative by the name of "Promace" can be quite helpful and may save you from a broken arm or a lost temper.

I really just want to see if it can be done. I've never milked a cow. I tried once with a brahma cross, I had second thoughts cause she was moving and kicking a lot. This was another cow.

The one I want to milk now is a baldie with a very shiny black coat. Doesn't look like the rest of my baldies. Also, her bag is the biggest I've seen in a beef cow. She looks more like a dairy cow but only in the bag. Otherwise, she's fat and short. Her calf doesn't make a dent on the bag so I figured I could have myself some fresh milk.

That's basically the only reason.

As far as being half stupid...that I am. So I guess I qualify. :lol2:

I really like the idea of tying the head to a post and also tying one of the rear legs. This could prevent the kicking.

I truly appreciate the responses and will let you know if I succeed.

Thanks,
Andrew
"El Señor Medio Estupido"

Glad we could be of assistance, do tell us if you try it and how bad you get hurt. I have lots of scars from ideas with alot less merit than yours. Being about half stupid keeps life interesting its the other half that you need to balance it out. It wouldn't hurt the cow any to be milked there is probably alot of stress on her bag as it is.

On another note look at her bag and try to tell if she has good udder structure. If the udder seems to be hanging or well attached to the body of the cow. A cow with a poorly attached bag will appear to have a bigger bag.

Good luck.

I have a 14 year old Murray Grey cow that I milked after her first two calves. I left her calf with her 24/7 and milked out what she would give me each evening after work. We had a gallon of milk with 3 inches of cream on it every evening. I made cheese and butter and the kids had all the milk they could drink. She wasn't real happy about being milked at first, but she was halter broke and I had touched and rubbed her all over for most of her life, so I was able to tie her to a post and milk. Yes, she tested my reflexes a few times, but we did ok. Now, she's the cow that I milk colostrum out of as soon as she calves. Her calf drinks on one side and I milk out the other side. She doesn't have to be tied for that. She's just happy to be milked no matter who is relieving the pressure for her.

i've heard alot about murray greys, why are they predomiatley on small farms? Is there any large producers using them? they seem like pretty good cattle

Beef11":2zakq0mz said:
i've heard alot about murray greys, why are they predomiatley on small farms? Is there any large producers using them? they seem like pretty good cattle

They are very good cattle. What do you consider a 'large producer'? I would imagine the reason they are not better known and used more is because the various associations can't seem to get their act together and promote the breed as it should be promoted.

a couple hundred head is getting to where i would start considering somewhat a large producer.

We don't qualify now, but we used to before Dad retired and cut the herd down.

PS I would also have to disagree with your statement about beef cows not being designed to milk as all of our milk cows (2-3 each year) when I was growing up were beef cows who had lost their calf for whatever reason. They produced more than enough milk to provide for a family of 6, along with homemade ice cream, lots of very good cream, and whatever else was needed, and were very easy to handle on top of it - the only problem we had to deal with was their nosing us around to what they felt was the proper position for milking and the occasional lick.

i've heard alot about them being around forever and producing a good calf year after year. what do people cross them with?

We don't cross them with anything as we raise registered Murray Grey's. We bred them up from a Black Angus herd back in the 70's.

Andrew, I really wouldn't suggest milking a beef cow just because you want some fresh milk. Depending on your set up and your cow (which I am assuming has never been milked) it could be quite difficult and also dangerous. Trust me, I speak from experience - a cow in a squeese chute can still kick you square in the chest while being milked! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Now if that cow really needs to be stripped out, that's a whole differnent story. We have some holstein/angus cross cows and they do have a bag more simular to the holsteins and a lot bigger then the strait beef breeds. Some produce too much milk for one calf and can develop mastitis in a quarter or two if the calf isn't nursing form all teats. Watch for that with your cow.

Latest posts