How do I know if my cow is bloating?

Help Support CattleToday:

Labored breathing frquently head is hanging. But the sure fire sign is if the small sort of triangular dip just in fornt of the left hip (her left hip) is bulged out.

Does she look or act distressed, or just huge? Mine come back from the field looking like a tick that's ready to pop. As long as you have the belching and farting, it's probably a full stomach.

If she's in distress, not belching or farting, get her up and walking. Walk her until she gets better. If she is bloating and you let her lay down and not treat, she will probably die on you.

Belties R Us":1f9r1qbb said:
ok thanks. I'll have to go check when I get out of school.
If it's actually bloat it will be easy to tell if you wait. She'll be the dead one.

Belties R Us":2fbrcyvp said:
She looks big but not huge and is pregnant. What are some signs?

As dun said, look in the left side in the triangle between the hip and ribs...

...now if it's mild bloat she will NOT be the dead one this afternoon... so long as she has normal breathing, isn't standing extended, showing discomfort, etc. she could resolve the matter herself.

...if she's in a whole bunch of discomfort there are plenty of threads on this forum if you search you will find plenty of good advice... take what works for you and pitch the rest.

Let us know what you think after you give her a look this afternoon. Good luck.

Latest posts