How do I get rid of it?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I got my carpets steam cleaned yesterday. Boy does my house stink and I just can't get the taste of the chemicals used out of my mouth. Bleah!
Suppose to get up to 61F on Sunday, hope so, I plan to open every window in the house if it does.

Will washing all of my dishes help get rid of this taste? :help:
I especially taste it in the milk and water straight from the faucet.

I've never had the rugs cleaned before, if there is a next time it will be when all the windows can be opened.

More than likely the fumes in the air are what you are tasting. The only thing that will help is what you said, air the house out. Once it dries completely the smell and fumes should be gone.

I had a job once where there was a minor fire in my room and we had to have the carpets steam cleaned. I cought an amonia smell that just would not go away. In fact, I lost my voice and I think it was because of the fumes. It goes away.

I own my own steam cleaner, and although I am sure it doesn't get the carpets as clean as a professional, I don't get the smell and I can clean the rugs a lot cheaper. Between the men and the dog and I, we get the carpets nasty here.

My untimate dream is to replace the carpet in the living room, or better yet, put in a hard wood floor. The cost is prohibitive now, though. Have to watch the money in this economy. One day, though. Then I can start cleaning a different floor!

You're going to appreciate this.........

To get rid of moisture in the house, turn on air conditioning. Heat only makes things worse.

I was going to say, steam cleaning puts a lot of moisture in the air (not to mention the carpet). Best to do it when things can dry fast. That doesn't happen on cold, wet winter days.

Yes granny is right on turning on the AC or a dehumidifier.

We had carpet in our old house and I never want to live with carpet again.

Rent a ozone generator for a few days, that will take the smell out.

mobgrazer":2ks7ka97 said:

When I was growing up, all our houses had hard wood floors and all I can remember is how darn cold they are. The object then was to cover that stuff with carpet! Now, everyone wants the wood floors again. I guess they are better insulated than they once were, but I can still remember who cold they got.

900 square feet of our house is ceramic tile, the hallways, den, entry way and bathrooms. If I did put a wood floor in the living room I would want area rugs in there. I figure that either way, I'd just be trading one kind of a mess for another.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Our AC is a window mount and has been put away for the winter.
Temp is at 36F this morning, suppose to get up to 51F today.
Will run into town and see if the hardware store has a dehumidifier.

Lammie":33xijges said:
mobgrazer":33xijges said:

When I was growing up, all our houses had hard wood floors and all I can remember is how darn cold they are. The object then was to cover that stuff with carpet! Now, everyone wants the wood floors again. I guess they are better insulated than they once were, but I can still remember who cold they got.

900 square feet of our house is ceramic tile, the hallways, den, entry way and bathrooms. If I did put a wood floor in the living room I would want area rugs in there. I figure that either way, I'd just be trading one kind of a mess for another.

:p The difference is the time period and you are right about the insulated floors. Now if the houses aren't concrete slabs at least the floor joist cavities are insulated plus 4x8 sheets of plywood are used for sub-flooring instead of 1x tongue and groove. When you and I were growing up, those wood floors didn't have insulation under them. Linoleum flooring help stop the wind from blowing up thru the floor, but carpet provided some insulation between the cold floor and you.

backhoeboogie":snhw517r said:
Lammie":snhw517r said:
Those old peer and beam houses could get crazy cold.

How? Put R24 in the floor and a slab cannot come close. Slab is much cheaper tho.

BHB you missed the "way back when" part. We were talking about growing up 40+- years ago in houses built 80+- years ago before anyone ever heard or thought of using anything as insulation.

Lammie":10e5huu2 said:
mobgrazer":10e5huu2 said:

I have nothing but hard wood flooring and love it! It's not cold at all, we put the furnace in the middle of the basement, so all that heat rises and keeps the floor warm! If we had carpet again, it would be nasty and I would want to replace every 3 or 4 years. It's just not cost effective for farm homes;) I say go for it when the extra $ come's in!

show time":9e5z2kdk said:
I have nothing but hard wood flooring and love it! It's not cold at all, we put the furnace in the middle of the basement, so all that heat rises and keeps the floor warm! If we had carpet again, it would be nasty and I would want to replace every 3 or 4 years. It's just not cost effective for farm homes;) I say go for it when the extra $ come's in!
Another part of the problem. Most of the houses in the south don't have basements. No need to dig one to get below frost line. Most places a 30 inch deep (if they get that deep) perimeter beam is deep enough. Here they have a bad habit of putting the furnace in the attic to avoid loosing floor space.

40 - 80 years ago, who had a furnace. :D

Lammie":1rnmb1us said:
mobgrazer":1rnmb1us said:

We use an out door wood boiler for our primary heat. Between the floor joists we have the heat tube on a metal thing that staples to the plywood floor. It keeps the wood and tile floors warm. The basement has the heat tubes in the concrete but we don't use them.

I had a custom builder come in that kept up with all the technology like I do. There are a few things we would do different if we build again but very few things we want to change now.

1982vett":exs447x2 said:
show time":exs447x2 said:
Another part of the problem. Most of the houses in the south don't have basements. No need to dig one to get below frost line. Most places a 30 inch deep (if they get that deep) perimeter beam is deep enough. Here they have a bad habit of putting the furnace in the attic to avoid loosing floor space.

Don't know..I wasn't born yet :)

We have an outside wood burning furnace that hooks into the propane furnace...that's all I know :dunce:

1982vett":2izn4moy said:
show time":2izn4moy said:
1982vett":2izn4moy said:

Don't know..I wasn't born yet :)

Guess you never got to hold your quilt and pillow in front of a stove to warm it before you ran and jumped in a cold bed.

Not 'till I got married :lol2: :frowns: Growing up, dad had a wood stove on each level of the house, kept us all toasty warm!

show time":1q58nyj2 said:
1982vett":1q58nyj2 said:
Guess you never got to hold your quilt and pillow in front of a stove to warm it before you ran and jumped in a cold bed.

Not 'till I got married :lol2: :frowns:

I think I'll not add to that. :shock: :oops:

Bsides, I've already taken ILH's thread way off track.

Latest posts