How do I get rid of dichondra?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Been a very wet winter and spring and something new has popped up everywhere,but especially in my lawn--Dichondra. Looks like this:
dichondra-500x332.jpg

dichondra-closeup.jpg

I have mostly bahia and common bermuda in the lawn and bahia in the pastures. Can I just hit it with Remedy or 2,4d without killing my lawn grass? (I already have plenty of both and would rather not buy different herbicide just for this insidious plant)

If so, how to mix and what's a good application rate for this--same as I use on the pasture? (Spot spray is not an option--it's almost a solid mat in places in the lawn.)

JWBrahman

Reaction score
2,4-D, cheap liquid dishwashing soap, and water will do the trick. Every spring dichondra pops up strong on the northern side of my peach and fig trees. It usually fizzles out when the ground dries. They need wet and partial shade. A drainage ditch works well as a permanent solution.

1 pint 2,4-D per 10 gallons of water

dun

Reaction score
From the people I've known that had it for lawn, just walking across it should pretty well kill it.

JWBrahman

Reaction score
ANAZAZI":a8xou4bd said:
Why on earth would that plant be a problem?

In the fruit tree orchard it is preferable to eliminate all competition while the fruit is forming.

It tends to perpetuate conditions favorable for its own success, causing the soil to stay soggy and compacted. Dichondra has a low transpiration rate and will not pull water up by the roots like Bahia and Bermuda. This is important for good soil health in the thick clay bogs where we live.

OP
greybeard

greybeard

Reaction score
It keeps moisture in the soil, shades out the springtime grass that's trying to come back up and then when mid summer gets here, it dies off and you end up with lots of bare patches in pastures and lawns. Clogs up my drainage areas too. Not to mention it takes over my wife's flowerbeds too and when she ain't happy.....well, you all know how that goes. This is the first year I've really seen much of it and thought it was dollarweed at first. It must be pretty cold tolerant, since it started growing back in late Jan/Feb and by the end of March, it had pretty much taken over.

Does dichondra present any toxicity to cattle? Or do they even eat it?

I'll hit it with 2,4d.
Thanks JW.

(I'm like Caustic--I'm seeing weeds I've never seen before and don't know what they are because of the wetter than normal winter. One thing I didn't see yesterday on my rounds was a bunch of Tallow--I may finally have that stuff on the run--but it's early in the year yet)

Latest posts