How do I get into your shoes(boots)?

Help Support CattleToday:

james.dyer":2beuju30 said:
My uncle has around 300 head on about 1,800 acres. Sounds like a perfect resource, but knowing old ranchers like y'all do, he continuously just tells me that it is not something I want to do and to get over it.... I love the man to death, but he is wrong....

This is the resource I would leverage. I certainly wouldn't dismiss his advice. Why does he feel the way he does? What does he know that you may not? Perhaps the two of you could make an arrangement? Perhaps he wants out and you could buy him out over time and take his work load over? Will he sell you a little square of land to build a house if you help him out till he's ready to part with the business? He certainly doesn't sound too happy with is life at the moment....

Forget west of Del Rio, unless it's on the Devils River. You might look further north, lots of paramedic/ firefighter jobs. I am currently looking at some property in cold spring. It is owned by my cousin who wants to retire and move to the beach.

What I was trying to point out, don't be in a hurry. Put out feelers in the area in which you are looking. Like at the co-op, feed store. Pick up a local paper, or thrifty nickel paper for free. When your in a hurry , you usually don't find quite as a good buy. Look at it as a job/ adventure. One that might pay rewards for the rest of your life. Good buys are out there. Good luck

If community means something to you, look at El Campo. Lots of good people, lots of ag, and pretty close to just about everything. Only about 40-45 minutes from Sugarland, and that land will grow a lot of grass if you stay ahead of the weeds!

angus9259":x2gunogx said:
james.dyer":x2gunogx said:
My uncle has around 300 head on about 1,800 acres. Sounds like a perfect resource, but knowing old ranchers like y'all do, he continuously just tells me that it is not something I want to do and to get over it.... I love the man to death, but he is wrong....

This is the resource I would leverage. I certainly wouldn't dismiss his advice. Why does he feel the way he does? What does he know that you may not? Perhaps the two of you could make an arrangement? Perhaps he wants out and you could buy him out over time and take his work load over? Will he sell you a little square of land to build a house if you help him out till he's ready to part with the business? He certainly doesn't sound too happy with is life at the moment....

I wish there was advice to dismiss. That's the problem, the only advice he gives me is "Don't do it." I'm not too sure why he feels that way unfortunately... When I try to talk about what will happen when he can no longer do it himself(he is nearly 80), he just acts like he will be doing it forever and there is no need to work in someone like myself that can take it over. And it being a touchy subject... I figure not pushing it is the best way to go... Man I would love do what you suggested.

Rafter S":2fzryvwa said:
I'm northwest of Houston, and don't know anything about the country south and east of there, so I won't be much help. But if you're ever around me stop by and say hello.

Appreciate it!

papavillars":1mb00u4r said:
Forget west of Del Rio, unless it's on the Devils River. You might look further north, lots of paramedic/ firefighter jobs. I am currently looking at some property in cold spring. It is owned by my cousin who wants to retire and move to the beach.

I am actually eye balling some homes in Shepherd and Cleveland area. Are you referring to directly north of del rio for the medic jobs, or just north texas?

james.dyer":3v3pf48t said:
papavillars":3v3pf48t said:

I am actually eye balling some homes in Shepherd and Cleveland area. Are you referring to directly north of del rio for the medic jobs, or just north texas?
I'm 8 miles North of Cleveland in San Jacinto County.

Latest posts