How do I get into the business?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm wanting to relocate out west and find cowboy work, preferrably in Texas, Wyoming, or Montana. But the problem that I have is, everyone that is hiring wants someone with experience. I'm from Mississippi and I don't have any ranch experience. Do you have to be born into the business to find work, or is there someone out there that will give you a chance and a jump start? I don't have much knowledge about the cattle business, but I am used to hard work and long hours, and I'd even work for room and board just to get a start. Any ideas?

[email protected]

> I'm wanting to relocate out west
> and find cowboy work, preferrably
> in Texas, Wyoming, or Montana. But
> the problem that I have is,
> everyone that is hiring wants
> someone with experience. I'm from
> Mississippi and I don't have any
> ranch experience. Do you have to
> be born into the business to find
> work, or is there someone out
> there that will give you a chance
> and a jump start? I don't have
> much knowledge about the cattle
> business, but I am used to hard
> work and long hours, and I'd even
> work for room and board just to
> get a start. Any ideas?

Well do you have any thing that you are good at?? You might try getting a job with somthing you know and then trying some ranch stuff on the side to leanr.... If you wanted to move to cali you could help with my cows experienced or not..I would suggest reading as much as you can about cattle health, handling,feeding ect. you might also try going to an auction asking questions see if you can help or a dairy ect.... Hope I was of some help SharRon

Thanks for the reply and the advice. What kind of operation do you have in California, and what part of the state is it in?

> Well do you have any thing that
> you are good at?? You might try
> getting a job with somthing you
> know and then trying some ranch
> stuff on the side to leanr.... If
> you wanted to move to cali you
> could help with my cows
> experienced or not..I would
> suggest reading as much as you can
> about cattle health,
> handling,feeding ect. you might
> also try going to an auction
> asking questions see if you can
> help or a dairy ect.... Hope I was
> of some help SharRon

[email protected]

> Thanks for the reply and the
> advice. What kind of operation do
> you have in California, and what
> part of the state is it in? I don't have a big operation,,just about 85-90 head... im in norther cali on the coast,,,,but on the other hand there are a LOT of dairys and beef ranches here If you were to move out this way there are opportunitys to be had. But there is always fences to be fixed ans cows to be taken care of at my place....I would be glad to share what I know with you...if you have any queastions I would be glad to answer them. SharRon

Latest posts