how do i get a baby calf to suck

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a baby calf and won't suck on its mama.<br>i've tryed every thing but i guess not everything.<br>if any body has a answer please give me a good one.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

First off, how old is the calf now? If it's older than 24 hours and hasn't gotten any colostrum, it may need a plasma transfusion to get the antibodies it lacks into it's system.<br>2nd: how vigorous is the calf--does it seem stupid (ie dull) or is it so eager to nurse it falls off? This makes a difference!<br>3rd Did you check inside it's mouth to ensure that there is no cleft palate, tongue abnormality, jaw abnormality etc?<br>Assuming the calf is less than 24 hrs old, bright, alert and normal, I will milk about a litre of colostrum (quart) from the dam, squirt a little colostrum in the mouth of the calf to get it's interest, then make sucking sounds and have someone else rub the rear end while I gently have one finger in the mouth. My body will be over the calf so that it is more natural for the calf. When I get sucking reflex, I'll exchange my finger for the nipple of a nurse bottle without too big a hole. I'll then keep up the sound and 90% of the time this works. If it doesn't, I'll sometimes tube the calf but this is not my preferred method.<br>When in doubt, call your vet!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts