How do branded beef programs work?

Help Support CattleToday:

pwilli3

Reaction score
How do branded beef programs like Sterling Silver or Naturewell work from a producer's angle? I know they claim adherence to grading guidelines, and/or feed guidelines, but do they contract with ranchers or feedlot operaters to feed the cattle in a program? Do they pick quality at the packing plants and divide off, i.e. Cargill takes in truck loads of cattle, slaughters and then sorts according to marbling and trim? So whatever does not fit the Sterling Silver guidelines goes to their next lower program and so on. If that is the case I would assume Tyson does the same thing with their all natural program, but selects from lots brought in verified anti-biotic and hormone free.

It is not a question of great importance. I'm just curious.

For the calves we've ben paid a premium for that were Sterling Silver or CAB, it was done at the slughterhouse and the premium came to us for those carcasses right along with the rgular check. Those were on retained ownership calves. I would assume they are all just sorted at slaughter time and diverted to whichever program they fit.

Latest posts