How did your state do ?

Help Support CattleToday:

a guy here got killed 2 years ago older guy that started tractor while in gear and ran him over. I wish i could say i never do that but id be lying.

skyhightree1":32ehihdy said:
a guy here got killed 2 years ago older guy that started tractor while in gear and ran him over. I wish i could say i never do that but id be lying.

You start it while it's in gear--from the ground???
Do you get that tired rundown feelin sometimes??
:D

I do sometime start mine standing beside it too, but I kick both the select and range levers into neutral first.

Dave":3p5l8g7y said:
For years farming has been the fourth highest in number of fatalities behind commercial fishing, logging, and mining. Farming is far more dangerous than other occupations that are touted by the media as being dangerous jobs. A farmer is 8 times more likely to be killed on the job than a cop.
how about bush pilot? having done that kind of flying my whole adult life, i can say with some certainty that complacency is the big culprit; speed is the second. seldom do accidents happen from one factor. usually a number of small factors lead to the major accident. even then, at reduced speed, the damage is dramatically reduced.....

Limomike":38bpmy9v said:
alisonb":38bpmy9v said:
Limomike":38bpmy9v said:
I remember when they loaded me into the ambulance, a OK Highway patrol stepped into the back, and started asking me questions about if I had been drinking, or doing drugs.
:shock: He must have asked that question for a reason, perhaps he's seen a couple of alcohol/drug related accidents in his time.

I do agree that the majority of accidents are probably caused by pure fatigue and stress on the part of the farmer.

He asked that because it was purely dumbassedness on his part.

I would agree. If he's holding up an ambulance on a roll over, seconds may end up counting later on. And if he really wanted to know, they can pull a blood sample at the hospital- alive or not.

greybeard":2r8orb4m said:
skyhightree1":2r8orb4m said:

You start it while it's in gear--from the ground???
Do you get that tired rundown feelin sometimes??
:D

I do sometime start mine standing beside it too, but I kick both the select and range levers into neutral first.

LOL... Only do I start it in gear when I feel like i need some excitement and no ones around to walk on my back i let the rear tire do it.

tsmaxx47":31qgx76k said:
Dave":31qgx76k said:
For years farming has been the fourth highest in number of fatalities behind commercial fishing, logging, and mining. Farming is far more dangerous than other occupations that are touted by the media as being dangerous jobs. A farmer is 8 times more likely to be killed on the job than a cop.
how about bush pilot? having done that kind of flying my whole adult life, i can say with some certainty that complacency is the big culprit; speed is the second. seldom do accidents happen from one factor. usually a number of small factors lead to the major accident. even then, at reduced speed, the damage is dramatically reduced.....

For years when I was falling timber they would give us the list of most fatal jobs every year. I think they were trying to scare us into being careful because every year we were either #1 or #2. As I remember pilots were somewhere in the 8-10 range. But that is all commercial pilots. If you seperated out bush pilots I am certain they would be very high on the list. There were a couple of bush pilots who I flew with in Alaska who have since flown into the side of a mountain or nosed it into the ocean.

If you don't have a neutral safety switch on your tractor, you need to have your head examined. A short in the switch, starter or anywhere else could be fatal. Doing stupid stuff is not an accident, we all need to take an extra second and THINK every once in a while.

Latest posts