How did you pick your breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow":1tiqp6pv said:
Was it what your family raised? Or, because of the region you live in? Maybe what was going for a good price? What made you pick that one breed and have you switched breeds?

The folks started out with Herefords back in the late 40's/early 50's, but had too many problems with sunburned udders and cancer eye. They then went to Angus, but attitude became a problem (No, Frankie, I'm not looking for a fight - just answering the question. BTW, I named one of my goats after you - I hope you don't mind - she is a very tenacious little lady!). Along about the late 70's they started breeding up the Angus herd via AI to Murray Grey bulls. They chose Murray Grey because of the docility, milking, low birth weights/high growth rates, and overall adapability of the breed. The Grey's did great, and we raised them until we sold out of the cattle business a year ago last December.

Started with registered Angus because that's what my family had and because of marketability with good function in their respective areas (calving ease, marbling, moderate size). I searched for a couple of years to find the continental complement that was docile, moderate framed, heavy muscled and easy calving. I found it in Aubracs and am now breeding Aubrac bulls to my registered Angus.

R26
1.jpg

msscamp":3ob149sp said:
Little Cow":3ob149sp said:
Was it what your family raised? Or, because of the region you live in? Maybe what was going for a good price? What made you pick that one breed and have you switched breeds?

The folks started out with Herefords back in the late 40's/early 50's, but had too many problems with sunburned udders and cancer eye. They then went to Angus, but attitude became a problem (No, Frankie, I'm not looking for a fight - just answering the question. BTW, I named one of my goats after you - I hope you don't mind - she is a very tenacious little lady!). Along about the late 70's they started breeding up the Angus herd via AI to Murray Grey bulls. They chose Murray Grey because of the docility, milking, low birth weights/high growth rates, and overall adapability of the breed. The Grey's did great, and we raised them until we sold out of the cattle business a year ago last December.

I don't mind that you named a goat after me. In fact, I'm flattered. :D

Hmmmm...well I chose the hereford, as I am new to the cattle business, and wanted a very docile breed. I love the breed so far! :nod:

Frankie":4zn8pbaa said:
msscamp":4zn8pbaa said:
Little Cow":4zn8pbaa said:

I don't mind that you named a goat after me. In fact, I'm flattered. :D

:D

Okay here goes ...

Murray Greys - boss picked them, for milk, mothering and muscle. And good temperament.

Angora goats - I got a poddy wether as a pet several years ago, and I got addicted! Bought some does in kid and away we went from there.

Boer goats - boss #2 had a stud poddy doe that she didnt want - did I want it?

British Alpine doe (the only BA I have) - wanted a Toggenburg dairy goat for home consumption and milk for poddies, but also wanted a show quality doe. Happened upon the BA which I bought for $245 (including fuel), whereas the same quality Toggenburg was going to cost me $800 + (not including fuel).

Well, my Dad was a dairy farmer (Holsteins), my Grandfather went from dairy to beef with Herefords in the late 40s. I had horses as a kid. My brother got a Hereford as his 13th birthday gift and he has played around with several beef breeds. Brother got introduced to Piedmontese in about 98, a friend of his brought him some steaks in exchange for a pecan pie. Best steak he had ever eaten! Lean, juicy, tender and healthy beef. His friend offered to implant embryos in his colored cattle (some black baldies and some Hereford crosses) and split the calf crop with him. He was hooked and soon decided to show them. He got me involved when he needed help showing the Pieds. Then I was hooked and am now slowly building my own small seed stock operation.

Latest posts