How close is she to calving????

Help Support CattleToday:

blackhawk_angel

Reaction score
Hello, Im kinda new to this. Our jersey cow has a long string of mucus hanging. We are wondering how long till she delivers now. We want to watch her close as she is a pet and last year she lost her first calve, the vet was called and had to pull the calf and said that the cow was in full labor but the calf had never moved up into the canal. Her water had broke and everything. Any info is greatly apprciated. Thanks

blackhawk_angel":2n9jxgcq said:
Hello, Im kinda new to this. Our jersey cow has a long string of mucus hanging. We are wondering how long till she delivers now. We want to watch her close as she is a pet and last year she lost her first calve, the vet was called and had to pull the calf and said that the cow was in full labor but the calf had never moved up into the canal. Her water had broke and everything. Any info is greatly apprciated. Thanks

If the mucus is think and kind of sticky she could still be a ways away from calving. If the mucus is watery and thiin she's getting very clost.

dun

I agree with Dun. Open cows in heat can have a discharge too, but I'm sure you know she's pregnant ;-) Some cows will squeeze that mucus out weeks in advance (everytime they lay down). Watch the udder, the tail head, and her behavior.

I've had cows go two weeks after seeing that string of thick mucus, I have one now that put mucus out last tuesday and I think ste could still be almost a week off yet , although I've been known to be wrong.

I've got 2 that started putting out that type of mucus last week, they have about another week or so before they should calve (at least that's how it goes for those 2 particular cows of mine). I have another who will squirt some out up to 3 weeks prior to calving.

Katherine

Some brahman cross cattle will start doing that a month or more in advance.

Beefy":3i55rzbw said:
Some brahman cross cattle will start doing that a month or more in advance.

That's good to hear as we've got a first calf heifer that had a string hanging down this morning. She's not due until the 26th of March, but she's almost liquid in the back end, has sunk drastically either side of her tailhead in the past day, and has a bag. Her teats aren't full yet, but somehow I just don't see her going another month. Frankly, if she makes it another two weeks, I'd be suprised. I noticed her side "fluttering" this morning too. Like a small muscle spasm, but not a contraction. 20 days before calving would put her at March 6th, so we're just hoping that she can hold out that long. Think we're in for a preemie?

You never can tell with heifers!

Ive seen some be so droopy you'd swear the calf was going to fall out any minute and two weeks later it would. the tell tale sign for me is when a heifers bag gets feverish looking. not pink, i mean really feverish looking.

Tell me about this tailhead on a cow gettin ready to pop. My MIL has four cows, third calves for them, and anything I can look out for would be of great help. I should say that they are due in late March early April.

Thanks
Dick

The tail head looks very rpminent, like sticking up high.
Just read a study about the body temp dropping within 2 days of calving. Pretty hard to tell a 1-2 degree F drop though.

dun

It really only becomes noticable typically a day or two before calving. That along with the watery mucus and the appearence of the right side as if she isn;t even carrying a calf are the best of the signs short of seeing a pair of feet.

dun

Latest posts