how can i make heifer more interested in feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I recently bought 7 bred charolaisX heifers. They were a touch skiddish from being handled, loaded unloaded etc. All of them are gradually coming around and starting to eat with me near the feed bunk. I'm sure alot of you have larger herds and aren't concerned with these types, however mine is a small 30 cow herd that I like being able to use feed bucket to catch and move or pen them. Any suggestions on how to make the last one more interested in feed? She's more skiddish, tends to shake, stays out on pasture, head up, nervous. If she does come in to feed (without me there)may takes a bite or 2 and then walks off. I have had a halter on her and been tying her up an hour or so a day. She is better but still has little interest in feed.

Just keep doing what you are doing, she'll come around. Some just take longer than others.
If you keep them in a smaller enclosure for awhile, it helps. Also if you use some sweet feed. (As opposed to cubes.)
At this point, be careful not to scare her worse by tying her up away from the other cattle. And give her plenty of a reward while she is tied up.

I have had plenty of "wild" Brangus. Most come around eventually. Those that do not, I do not keep.
Good luck!

fnfarms1":1b282qs6 said:
I recently bought 7 bred charolaisX heifers. They were a touch skiddish from being handled, loaded unloaded etc. She's more skiddish, tends to shake, stays out on pasture, head up, nervous.
A Nervous Nellie... she could be real trouble, I hate high headed cattle. No suggestions to get her more interested in feed.
But watch yourself, especially if ever trying to confine her in a small area. It can be very dangerous.

I agree with what BCG said. However, keep in mind that while that kind will probably get better, they may never calm down as much as you want them to. I bought 4 heifers at the auction barn this summer to throw in with the ones I raised. Two of them are okay, but the other two are too high-headed to suit me. They love feed, but they're always the last ones to come to the trough, and they eat with one eye on me, ready to run at a moment's notice. They're difficult to lead and impossible to drive. If they don't get a lot better this winter (and I don't think they will) they'll be someone else's problem next spring. And I may not wait that long.

This is kind of what I thought guys. Thanks. I am using a sweet feed or at least it has molasses in it(commodity mix from local COOP). I don't intend to pet her etch, just that one cow can ruin a whole herd. lol. She is being tied up in a lot next to the other heifers, keeping her confined to make catching easier and so doesn't tangle lead rope in tree etc and get hurt. Temper wise, she's calmed down alot. No longer wants to tear my face off through the fence at least. I've tried rewards, the others eat from my hand some. You can't get her to at all

I am sure she will come around just don't try too hard, don't look at her, ignore her if you do tie her up tie a hay net to the fence but don't approach her and try to make friends.
I usually find one in my group of retained heifers will just be that more aloof than the others but once they get in calf it always settle them down and I do look after my heifers well especially after calving and I think that sets them up for life.
Ken

wbvs58":1e86gzm2 said:
I am sure she will come around just don't try too hard, don't look at her, ignore her if you do tie her up tie a hay net to the fence but don't approach her and try to make friends.
I usually find one in my group of retained heifers will just be that more aloof than the others but once they get in calf it always settle them down and I do look after my heifers well especially after calving and I think that sets them up for life.
Ken
Lol. Kind of play hard to get? I understand, hadn't thought to tie hay near her, figured feeds usually the way to go. I'm hoping just time will help her

Turn her loose today she won't eat hay or feed at all in the corral. Getting skinny, decided she will be what she will. Dead won't be any good at all, so sent her back with the group.

Get rid of her, she'll ruin the others. Though not all of them, and not always. She may even blend in and stick to the back, but there's gonna come a time where you need to move the herd, or work them, and she'll be leading the charge in the wrong direction. Then calves will come, and she'll have them spooked, and the problem will grow.

Ask me how I know. :?

Even taking a loss on her now is money well spent.

ya thats why i let her go. figure to keep her until spring. calve her out and sell as a pair, or maybe she will calm down and be tolerable for few years. i've tried to weed out the goofy ones. these were all alittle nervous from being handled alot, the rest have mostly settled down. theres one thats still my "project on a rope", but i think will come around.