how can I do with this

Help Support CattleToday:

What's your vet say?

Off hand I'd say you're doing the right thing by keeping it covered and clean - but it's not good for that tissue to be exposed to the air; it'll dry out and die. Needs to go back inside. Depending on what exactly it IS (I suspect endebt has the right guess with a stepped-on penis), I'm guessing anti-inflammatories and probably surgery to put everything back where it belongs, and he's probably not going to be useful as a breeding bull again.

But I could be wrong.

Never seen anything like it myself. Might want to google up some info on Bovine Herpes virus. I imagine its very contagious and I suspect if you have been breeding your cows with this bull then you may have more problems to come. Maybe someone on the board has some experience with this but I don't.

That is clearly some sort of accident and has nothing to do with Bovine herpes or any other disease (though exposed like that antibiotics would be recommended as this is a magnet for secondary infections). I have seen 60+++ broken bull penises when I worked at the Auburn Vet School for 4 years. I am no vet; but that one is different. Just from the one pic I would GUESS we were looking at intestines so it is some sort of hernia probably as part of a severe penile injury. You have got to get it back inside fast and you need to palpate the penis to see if repair is needed there. IN THEORY Fix what needs fixing and sew it up so it stays in there though don't sew it up so that the penis can't get out I don't see how you do all that you need to do there without an experienced surgeon. I have done all sorts of surgeries (on cows and hogs) and I know that this is beyond me. This is just about call the vet or shoot him time.

I've seen a bull or 2 come thru the sale barns that have looked like that.I asked Rick to look at this and see what he thought. He said he has seen it before. He said that bull got some sort of thorn or burr in his penis ,that has caused a major infection. Nothing you can do for him though.

I did some research and I THINK that it might be a VERY severe case of preputial eversion, also termed preputial prolapse.

gr314.jpg

This is a picture of a partial preputial eversion. Due to injury or infection, the skin lining the preputial cavity becomes swollen and edematous and prolapses through the preputial orifice; of course this just sets it up for further injury, either the bull stepping on it, or other mechanical damage from the environment (rocks, sticks etc).

Here's another one:

bovine_preputial_eversion.jpg

This sort of injury can occur during or immediately after mating, or because of chronic prolapse issues. Bos indicus breeds such as your bull are more often affected than Bos taurus breeds because their anatomy is different - the prepuce of Bos indicus is longer (on average 5.5cm longer) than Bos taurus, the preputial orifice is larger and the sheath more pendulous. Polled breeds of Bos taurus are also susceptible; they have a rudimentary retractor muscle which results in habitual or chronic preputial prolapse.

Treatment options depend on the nature of the injury, the breed, presence of infection, ability to extend the penis and the value of the animal. The medical treatment consists of controlling infection (through antibiotics) and decreasing inflammation. It is suggested that the eversion may be put back in place, by thoroughly cleaning the prolapse with betadine (or similar), covering in Epsom salts to reduce the swelling, and then manually replacing the tissue. The sheath should then be bandaged.

Surgical intervention is required where the medical treatment fails to improve the condition, or if scar tissue prevents normal movement of the prepuce and/or penis. The two main surgical methods are posthioplasty and circumcision.

Posthioplasty or 'reefing'

preputial_prolapse_reefing.jpg

preputial_prolapse_reefing_2.jpg

Circumcision

preputial_prolapse_circumcision.jpg

Posthioplasty has been shown to be more effective (success rate of 90%) when compared with circumcision (success rate of 43%) in returning normal function of the penis and prepuce.

If the penis can be extended before surgery, success rates are around 88% but only 36% if this cannot be achieved.

General anaesthetic gives a better success rate (100%) over local anaesthetic (63%).

The bulls in this study were returned to semen collection after surgery and recovery.

Great post Keren! We had a bull that was like the first picture that you had posted back in 2004. We tried a few different things to help retract it; washing it daily and putting a cream on it, and then tried using sugar to draw out some of the moisture to draw it back in. This didn't help that much and ended up shipping the bull. We could have done a circumcision, but since the probability of it being successful was not VERY high, we just bit the bullet and had to look for another bull. Of course all of this was happening less than 3 weeks before breeding season started... Never fails in the timing, does it?

greatgerts":21ktgitl said:
Great post Keren! We had a bull that was like the first picture that you had posted back in 2004. We tried a few different things to help retract it; washing it daily and putting a cream on it, and then tried using sugar to draw out some of the moisture to draw it back in. This didn't help that much and ended up shipping the bull. We could have done a circumcision, but since the probability of it being successful was not VERY high, we just bit the bullet and had to look for another bull. Of course all of this was happening less than 3 weeks before breeding season started... Never fails in the timing, does it?

The vet bill on this bull would buy another one you know could work. This the old lesson you can't loose em if you ain't got them. I am not trying to hurt the guys feelings but that Brimmer ain't nothing special and I like Brimmers. If you could see a V8 brand you might have to weigh out vet cost.

Caustic Burno":1xfjg86s said:
greatgerts":1xfjg86s said:

The vet bill on this bull would buy another one you know could work. This the old lesson you can't loose em if you ain't got them. I am not trying to hurt the guys feelings but that Brimmer ain't nothing special and I like Brimmers. If you could see a V8 brand you might have to weigh out vet cost.
Took a V8 bull to the sale barn last year with the same problem. Took it to the vet 2 times a year before that.
There are 2 problems with the bull. One the ongoing vet bills, because it will continue to happen. Second you are breeding this problem into your herd and the herds you sell to.
My openion is to do the breed a favor, turn him into hamburger.

Caustic Burno":2o1cf5km said:
greatgerts":2o1cf5km said:

That is another reason why we did not get the circumcision done on our bull. He was a dang good bull, but even with his pedigree, it was too hard to justify putting that money into him since the only place that would do the procedure in our area is the Univeristy of Missouri and it was going to be quite an expense.

Caustic Burno":210tnno2 said:
greatgerts":210tnno2 said:

I agree Caustic, I just found it interesting. A less severe case can usually be fixed without surgery. However, this bull looks so bad, I think he would have to have surgery, I also dont like the chances of the penis being able to extend in this case, which significantly lowers the success rate of surgery. Which is a shame since in subsistance farming animals like this are given more value than if the same animal was over here. Here, I guess the ones that are worth it are those bulls that are in AI centres having semen collected.

Nova - it doesnt become an ongoing problem if the surgical method is used. If the medicinal method is used, yes there might be a recurrance. Also, you are not necessarily breeding it into the herd as its not always genetic. Yes obviously you are breeding the predisposition into the herd - but you do that with any indicus animal, regardless of whether it has shown this problem. Many times this is due to injury during or after mating so if the bull returns to work he's not gonna pass it on. But yes, if it is a taurus animal which has a lazy prepuse prone to small prolapses, that may be passed on.

Latest posts