How can a person handle this heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1e8q71px said:
callmefence":1e8q71px said:
were seeing 104 to 106. the silver lining. it sends the partimers, weekenders and do it yourselfers running for the a/c.
If your lucky what you do today you'll have to live with tomorrow. I guess if your planning to work till you drop dead, your going about it in the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KltxInurebY

Acclimatization has a lot to do with it. The trick is to do it everyday no matter what. I don't do it as much as I used to but still do it enough so I can if I ever Have to again. Wife doesn't understand the concept at all. I just tell her "One must learn to sail on any seas"

I honestly believe that people don't stop doing things because they can't. People can't do things because they stopped.

slick4591":2gcpwnyz said:
hurleyjd":2gcpwnyz said:
I hire a $10 an hour Mexican to do the sweat work.

They are up to at least $12 here and $15 if they are good workers. I can't get one in the truck for less.

The Mexicans around here that can and will work are getting few and far between. Some of them that have a large job to do tell me that they cannot find a Mexican to work. I have some six wire barbwire that the cows have pushed the post over and stretched the wire. This is along the road. Sergio told me about a week ago he needed to work to call if I had any. I met him yesterday at 4:00 pm to show him what to do. He looked at it and said I will remove the wire straighten the post for 85 cents a foot. I said okay when will you start. He said now and pulled his truck out of the road and went to work. I have plans to sell most of the cows. I have 29 pair with calves from about 250 to 700 pounds on them. Friday week and they will be gone. As soon as this fence gets fixed and some repair on the lot I have plans to sell 35 more pair. This will leave be about 60 head of young bred cows that should start calving around Jan/ Feb next year. I think with any luck at all and reducing the herd size I will be able to bale enough hay by the last of August. Rye grass and clover reseeds on these places. Next year I have plans to sell the rest and live out the golden years doing whatever I want to do and able to do. Next year I will be 78 and do not have the passion I did before for cattle. Also good chance I will also reduce my land holding by about 50% and that will leave 200 acres that I can get to with the UTV in about fifteen minutes. The Co-op is going to miss the money I spend with them on lime, fertilizer, feed herbicides and fence repair material.The equipment dealer may miss me also.

greybeard":2ru5bkfg said:
True Grit Farms":2ru5bkfg said:
callmefence":2ru5bkfg said:
were seeing 104 to 106. the silver lining. it sends the partimers, weekenders and do it yourselfers running for the a/c.
If your lucky what you do today you'll have to live with tomorrow. I guess if your planning to work till you drop dead, your going about it in the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KltxInurebY

Acclimatization has a lot to do with it. The trick is to do it everyday no matter what. I don't do it as much as I used to but still do it enough so I can if I ever Have to again. Wife doesn't understand the concept at all. I just tell her "One must learn to sail on any seas"

I honestly believe that people don't stop doing things because they can't. People can't do things because they stopped.
Greybeard I feel your a 100% right. And once you stop doing it's hard to start up again. I tried to pull fish with my son a couple of weeks ago and I just plum gave out after catching 500 lbs.

callmefence":2exdjngr said:
Caustic Burno":2exdjngr said:
True Grit Farms":2exdjngr said:

Or he will stroke out just enough to be on Medicaid for the next twenty years.

I going to fight it on the bay tomorrow.

Red worked outside in weather till he was 87. And he dam sure didn't need to . He was better heeled than you and grit put together. Some blood lines out there still produce men. Yours dont have enough man to speak here.

And I bet I can catch bigger fish out my front door than can in the bay tommorow. Good luck though.... ;-)
Blue cats? How much money does a person need to enjoy life? I've never wanted to be the richest person or the person with the most. Fenceman I admire your work ethic but you only have one life and no do overs. To me it's a lot more enjoyable doing something because you love it, than doing it because you have to. I'm sure you have to be well off by now, just slow down a little and enjoy life is all I was trying to pass on.
Keep working hard millions on welfare depend on you.

True Grit Farms":3pwk5s2k said:
callmefence":3pwk5s2k said:
Caustic Burno":3pwk5s2k said:
Or he will stroke out just enough to be on Medicaid for the next twenty years.

I going to fight it on the bay tomorrow.

Red worked outside in weather till he was 87. And he dam sure didn't need to . He was better heeled than you and grit put together. Some blood lines out there still produce men. Yours dont have enough man to speak here.

And I bet I can catch bigger fish out my front door than can in the bay tommorow. Good luck though.... ;-)
Blue cats? How much money does a person need to enjoy life? I've never wanted to be the richest person or the person with the most. Fenceman I admire your work ethic but you only have one life and no do overs. To me it's a lot more enjoyable doing something because you love it, than doing it because you have to. I'm sure you have to be well off by now, just slow down a little and enjoy life is all I was trying to pass on.

Maybe I could sale what the men before me earned and spend the rest of my life in the beach.

But I intend to leave my boys with twice what I received and the ability to double it..or die trying

And fwiw. To me there is nothing more priceless than to able to stay completely entertained inside your own gates. I have everything I need right here.
To qoute the old man... everyone wants a place, just not many willing to put in the work....

callmefence":3c5ndb5o said:
True Grit Farms":3c5ndb5o said:
callmefence":3c5ndb5o said:

Maybe I could sale what the men before me earned and spend the rest of my life in the beach.

But I intend to leave my boys with twice what I received and the ability to double it..or die trying
Good luck, that's a very noble cause.

I dam sure didn't bust my butt for forty years to leave it to kids. They can earn their own . If there is anything left their welcome to it. I am not about to save it for someone to party with when I am dead.

Caustic Burno":3frdbed7 said:
I dam sure didn't bust my butt for forty years to leave it to kids. They can earn their own . If there is anything left their welcome to it. I am not about to save it for someone to party with when I am dead.

You brag about your hertiage but have no interest in continuing it.

Of course I have good information that the fact that your great grandpappy couldn't shoot straight caused the slaughter of hundreds of brave Texans at the Alamo. And the same reason you deer hunt with a model 12 and buckshot today.... ;-) :D ....party hard...... :drink: :banana: ----tgats a jalapeno not a banana

Caustic Burno":22vx0ufz said:

Pretty much how I think, too. My dad left me with 12 acres and half a house. That's what I'm leaving to my daughter and if my brother goes before me his kids and mine can figure it all out.

Meanwhile:

callmefence":pv7fbtxd said:
Caustic Burno":pv7fbtxd said:

Of course I have good information that the fact that your great grandpappy couldn't shoot straight caused the slaughter of hundreds of brave Texans at the Alamo. And the same reason you deer hunt with a model 12 and buckshot today.... ;-) :D ....party hard...... :drink: :banana: ----tgats a jalapeno not a banana

No I expect mine to earn it not have it given to them. That's what's wrong now the majority think it's owed to them.
Well at least my ancestors in Texas have statues and monuments to honor them. Made it safe so Your bunch could come in.

Caustic Burno":2knu5jkw said:
callmefence":2knu5jkw said:
Caustic Burno":2knu5jkw said:

No I expect mine to earn it not have it given to them. That's what's wrong now the majority think it's owed to them.
Well at least my ancestors in Texas have statues and monuments to honor them. Made it safe so Your bunch could come in.

Spending money for moneys sake is no way to handle money. I hope I can maintain my assets so I can pass it on to my kids. Will not make any difference with me when I am looking up at the grassroots. If they spend it all on jelly beans then that is their option. After I breath my last breath I have no need for any earthly items whatsoever. There will be no strings attached to my assets left on earth to control the kids with.

slick4591":2lsx7axd said:
Caustic Burno":2lsx7axd said:

Pretty much how I think, too. My dad left me with 12 acres and half a house. That's what I'm leaving to my daughter and if my brother goes before me his kids and mine can figure it all out.

Meanwhile:

Mine shows 115 degrees.

hurleyjd":276jzzoz said:
Caustic Burno":276jzzoz said:
callmefence":276jzzoz said:

Spending money for moneys sake is no way to handle money. I hope I can maintain my assets so I can pass it on to my kids. Will not make any difference with me when I am looking up at the grassroots. If they spend it all on jelly beans then that is their option. After I breath my last breath I have no need for any earthly items whatsoever. There will be no strings attached to my assets left on earth to control the kids with.

There will be plenty left for everyone to fight over.
I agree with you on what they do with it I am dead and don't give a crap.
It is a fool that bust his butt to save for kids. Seen too many kids blow everything daddy left them cause they never had to work and earn anything.

Caustic Burno":19proog8 said:
callmefence":19proog8 said:
Caustic Burno":19proog8 said:

You might want to be careful about comparing ancestors. I would hate to shame your little bunch........so catchemup tommorow and think of us poor working stiffs you've outsmarted.. :lol2:

callmefence":1vipr5rq said:
Caustic Burno":1vipr5rq said:
callmefence":1vipr5rq said:

You might want to be careful about comparing ancestors. I would hate to shame your little bunch........so catchemup tommorow and think of us poor working stiffs you've outsmarted.. :lol2:

:bs:

hurleyjd":3j03lg3w said:
I have plans to sell most of the cows. I have 29 pair with calves from about 250 to 700 pounds on them. Friday week and they will be gone. As soon as this fence gets fixed and some repair on the lot I have plans to sell 35 more pair. This will leave be about 60 head of young bred cows that should start calving around Jan/ Feb next year. I think with any luck at all and reducing the herd size I will be able to bale enough hay by the last of August. Rye grass and clover reseeds on these places. Next year I have plans to sell the rest and live out the golden years doing whatever I want to do and able to do. Next year I will be 78 and do not have the passion I did before for cattle. Also good chance I will also reduce my land holding by about 50% and that will leave 200 acres that I can get to with the UTV in about fifteen minutes. The Co-op is going to miss the money I spend with them on lime, fertilizer, feed herbicides and fence repair material.The equipment dealer may miss me also.
Dad was still trying at 87. Probably cause in his mind he didn't have a choice or maybe he just needed that control. But if I learned anything between 2003 and 2011, by cutting the herd as drastically as you plan frees up a lot of time. You won't really need lime and fertilizer as you won't need that much forage. In a good year you will probably be able to grow enough hay to last several years without much trouble. Fuel, equipment repairs, feed and supply purchases will look minuscule compared to the past. And with those reductions in expenses you may even find you get to keep a higher $ per head percentage than when you were balls to the wall working for all the other agribusinesses.

Caustic Burno":3uict5rh said:

No worries cb. You'd actually have to bust your azz for that to happen..... :D

1982vett":2r1fr9bo said:
hurleyjd":2r1fr9bo said:
I have plans to sell most of the cows. I have 29 pair with calves from about 250 to 700 pounds on them. Friday week and they will be gone. As soon as this fence gets fixed and some repair on the lot I have plans to sell 35 more pair. This will leave be about 60 head of young bred cows that should start calving around Jan/ Feb next year. I think with any luck at all and reducing the herd size I will be able to bale enough hay by the last of August. Rye grass and clover reseeds on these places. Next year I have plans to sell the rest and live out the golden years doing whatever I want to do and able to do. Next year I will be 78 and do not have the passion I did before for cattle. Also good chance I will also reduce my land holding by about 50% and that will leave 200 acres that I can get to with the UTV in about fifteen minutes. The Co-op is going to miss the money I spend with them on lime, fertilizer, feed herbicides and fence repair material.The equipment dealer may miss me also.
Dad was still trying at 87. Probably cause in his mind he didn't have a choice or maybe he just needed that control. But if I learned anything between 2003 and 2011, by cutting the herd as drastically as you plan frees up a lot of time. You won't really need lime and fertilizer as you won't need that much forage. In a good year you will probably be able to grow enough hay to last several years without much trouble. Fuel, equipment repairs, feed and supply purchases will look minuscule compared to the past. And with those reductions in expenses you may even find you get to keep a higher $ per head percentage than when you were balls to the wall working for all the other agribusinesses.

Lot of truth here.
The only real control we have is input cost.

Sounds like we've all taught our kids how to work. My boys aren't going to waste their money or mine, my daughter I'm not so sure about. Before she got her first job, I was really worried that she didn't know the value of a dollar. I spoiled her and still do, but she's in school and pulling a 3.8 gpa in pre med.
It's unbelievable how much money a doctor can make in such a short period of time. In 7 years our oldest has more than we have by a long shot. And he doesn't handle the heat at all, his house is kept at 68.

Latest posts