How bout these Angus bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
I'm looking to have some of my cows A.I. and i really like these two bulls. I don't know but objective sons appeals to me for some reason. I'm mostly wanting to work in the future having feed efficent herd and i like to implement these two.
I'm new to the A.I. and epd game so any suggestions or extra advice would be great. :D :kid:

http://www.bovine-elite.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=391

http://www.bovine-elite.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=394

The gardiner bulls, are the sires to half my herd and im always pleased with there calves. The SQ Credence is a new bull i've seen and Suzi Q angus seems like a really good program.

So what do you think?

Neither of those two look very efficient according to the EPD's, the SQ would be the better one of the two though. I think I like the looks of the GAR bull better, but until they work out that CCS situation I would be careful about using anything out of the 1680 lines, at least wait till they are determined to be a carrier or not.

If you are looking for efficiency I have found that alot of the B/R bulls are, and they still have the high $ values. GAR Predestined also has some really good overall numbers.

All 3 of those bulls trace back to either 1680 or his MGS 9J9, who's connection has also been questioned - so be very aware of the Curley Calf Syndrome and what your mating to..
To me there are just too many good and in my opinion, much better, "unrelated" bulls out there to take the chance....

Have you heard of any more besides the one calf that didn't have 1680 on both sides of the pedigree, but had 9J9 on both sides?

RD-Sam":3q6lk3lk said:
Have you heard of any more besides the one calf that didn't have 1680 on both sides of the pedigree, but had 9J9 on both sides?

Nope- but until more is known I think I'd prefer to lean in the direction of prudence and caution...
But that said- none of those bulls are of my preference type either....

It's real hard to find a cow or bull that doesn't trace back to 1680. I also been looking for bulls with unique pedigree's but its hard finding bulls that dont come back to either 1680, ext, 036, new trend, and others. That's why i was looking for Objective sons. I didn't know that 1680 was being looked at for posiable CCS. :eek: Thanks for the help so far. :)

It all depends on your goals. If it is carcass that you are after there are other bulls out there that do not contain precision blood in them. Until the genetic test come out I would consider using something such as SS objective.

Nothing wrong with the others you mentioned that anyone is aware of. #1 $B is B/R Ambush 28 #14188956, pretty efficient and great EPD numbers in my opinion. There are people on here that have used him with good success. B/R New Design 323-8212 #13043866 looks very efficient and the rest of the EPD looks pretty good to me, good calf ease too. Predestined would be an option in my opinion if you didn't have any 1680 or 9J9 in the cow, remember it takes two with the gene, and he doesn't have 1680, only 9J9, which is an assumption based on one calf that we know of. There are plenty of bulls out there, those are just a few I like.

The two bulls you posted may work well as terminal sires,but the resulting heifers would not be the most efficient cows.It's going to take some good feed and alot of it to get those kind to produce to there potential.I don't just want to push my thoughts on why more moderate cows are better,but since you asked about efficient cows.You may want to look at some middle of the road type bulls.It's not how much you make,it's how much you get to keep.

SFFarms":26akvqiy said:
It's real hard to find a cow or bull that doesn't trace back to 1680. I also been looking for bulls with unique pedigree's but its hard finding bulls that dont come back to either 1680, ext, 036, new trend, and others. That's why i was looking for Objective sons. I didn't know that 1680 was being looked at for posiable CCS. :eek: Thanks for the help so far. :)

If you're looking for a performance AI beef bull- here is one you may want to look at that has no 1680, EXT, 036, New Trend- whatever...SAF Directive...Co-owned by a local ranch that sells some top quality feedlot cattle..Don't know what your looking for but he is a 7 frame with some good beef numbers...

I've seen some of his sons and they are nice--but too big- and too much of the "bigger, better, faster" for me...

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... =237AN1680

Another is Lead On:
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1556

I've seen a lot of Lead On calves- and they are nice calves...Both the bulls and heifers have been in high demand in our area...They are really quiet cattle- and not as large framed as Directive...My son has a couple of Lead On cows and they are some of the quietest we have...Do not use him on heifers- as he is a little erratic on birth weights....

Lots of good bulls out their with no Precision or even GAR influence..