How big is your operation?

Help Support CattleToday:

i have 450 ac. I run a commerical and a Reg. Angus operation. I am by myself. Some time the wife will hold a gate but not often. I used to hire high school boys from the ag classes but now they know they are going to have to work. this is not Wal-Mart. I am retired miltary. I am in my mid 60's. I usually work from 7:30 to about 12 noon. then start back up around 2 till around 6 or so. Hope this lets some lite on my operation. Have a nice day.

I own one acre, surrounded by 800 of my dads, when I went off to college he got out of farming, lucky me he kept the land, now I'm slowly getting it fenched in and trying to get into the cattle business, its what I always wanted to do

rowdyred":316t174i said:
I own one acre, surrounded by 800 of my dads, when I went off to college he got out of farming, lucky me he kept the land, now I'm slowly getting it fenched in and trying to get into the cattle business, its what I always wanted to do

You'd best sell that 1 acre and move into the city. Get a place next door to Mr and Mrs Jones if keeping up with the Jones is one of your ambitions. :D :D

It's not good manners to ask how many nickels someone has in the bank. You also shouldn't ask if they own that truck or if the bank has the lien. Don't ask how much land they have or how many head of cattle they run. etc.

Your question gets brought up in the forum from time to time. Does it really matter?

Hopefully you are just making conversation.

I have 20 head of reg. Red Angus cows (+ calves), which are run with 250 of dad's Red and Black Angus (+ calves) on give or take 400+ac. Then I guess you have to count bulls, which we sold 30 and those are being delivered this week. And we have 40 or so replacement heifers. We have hay ground, but I'm not counting that, that's dad and sis's deal.

backhoeboogie":36o0c97f said:
rowdyred":36o0c97f said:

You'd best sell that 1 acre and move into the city. Get a place next door to Mr and Mrs Jones if keeping up with the Jones is one of your ambitions. :D :D

It's not good manners to ask how many nickels someone has in the bank. You also shouldn't ask if they own that truck or if the bank has the lien. Don't ask how much land they have or how many head of cattle they run. etc.

Your question gets brought up in the forum from time to time. Does it really matter?

Purely conservation, I enjoy reading magizines that talk about a ranch or farm life, just thought it would be interesting to know a little about what people do, my next question is, how many people on this forum make a living on the farm/ranch, I envy the ones that do. AND I dont think it was in bad taste to ask, other people are answering so apparently they didnt either, you have a great day :tiphat:

rowdyred":1yel0ju5 said:
backhoeboogie":1yel0ju5 said:
rowdyred":1yel0ju5 said:

Purely conservation, I enjoy reading magizines that talk about a ranch or farm life, just thought it would be interesting to know a little about what people do, my next question is, how many people on this forum make a living on the farm/ranch, I envy the ones that do. AND I dont think it was in bad taste to ask, other people are answering so apparently they didnt either, you have a great day :tiphat:
Dad makes a living off it. My hubby to be is a grain farmer, and I hope to get my herd up soon when we find pasture, ultimate goal for the both of us is to be dependent on the grain and cattle. Right now, we're both working.

dun":2kzatr45 said:
My last operation left a 12 inch scar in my chest.

I out "dun" you dun...mine's about 18 inches...then the next year they cut one horizontal to it and turned it into a bit "L".

TexasBred":1nys8zlx said:
dun":1nys8zlx said:

I out "dun" you dun...mine's about 18 inches...then the next year they cut one horizontal to it and turned it into a bit "L".
you texans always gotta out do somebody :cowboy:

alacattleman":360ssal2 said:
TexasBred":360ssal2 said:
dun":360ssal2 said:

you texans always gotta out do somebody :cowboy:

You didn't think I was gonna let the ol' boy from Arkansas have a bigger operation than me did you?? Hope it's the last one tho.

TexasBred":2go64wc6 said:
You didn't think I was gonna let the ol' boy from Arkansas have a bigger operation than me did you?? Hope it's the last one tho.

arkansas??????????????????????

That's just the chest. There are matching ones in my leg and arm

[I out "dun" you dun...mine's about 18 inches...then the next year they cut one horizontal to it and turned it into a bit "L".[/quote] you texans always gotta out do somebody :cowboy:[/quote]

You didn't think I was gonna let the ol' boy from Arkansas have a bigger operation than me did you?? Hope it's the last one tho.[/quote]

Calling someone from Missouri an ol boy from Arkansas is fighting words. Watch out as Dun might come back ready to fight. :lol: :lol:

My cattle operation is nothing, I simply help a family friend because I love it. He runs around 200 head Black Angus with 3/4 of them being registered. He leases almost all his land which is about 450 acres. I don't have the $ money to get involved and don't see how you can make any $ if you sink a bunch into land, equipment and cattle. I'm still looking for a large operation to work and live on with my family but I haven't found that yet either, but I'll keep looking for sure.

Latest posts