How big is your operation?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":192c5uq2 said:
TexasBred":192c5uq2 said:
You didn't think I was gonna let the ol' boy from Arkansas have a bigger operation than me did you?? Hope it's the last one tho.

arkansas??????????????????????

That's just the chest. There are matching ones in my leg and arm

ooops....now I done "dun" it big time. Sorry about that dun. Guess I had Arkansas on my mind after somebody else was talking about those hills and valleys. ;-) Chest...arms and legs...mercy..sounds almost like they dun skinned you out.

My operation is just a blip on a map. I do make my living from the land but cattle is just one small facet. I enjoy them and they add to the nickles I bring in each year. I enjoy taking land and making it productive in whatever manner is feasible. This is my job and its rewarding and sometimes its even fun.

300 acres, My grandpa has 50 head of Brahma cross cows and I run 4 head of Brahman(soon to be more). And as far as scars go I only have one ranch scar and that is a 8 inch scar on my arm from a barb wire fence.

alacattleman":ld3y38pd said:
TexasBred":ld3y38pd said:
dun":ld3y38pd said:
My last operation left a 12 inch scar in my chest.

I out "dun" you dun...mine's about 18 inches...then the next year they cut one horizontal to it and turned it into a bit "L".
you texans always gotta out do somebody :cowboy:

Those guys from Texas have always been proud of their scars. I remember back in the 1960's when LBJ made the news by saying "Wanna see my scar" after an appendectomy. ;-)

My operation is too big when it is tax paying time and fence repair time. Too small when it come to a drought and round up and selling time.

lets see how meny cattle we run.right now its close to 100hd maybe more.an that counting cows bulls calves an heifers.an have 400acs that they run on.

aussie_cowgirl":trxpb64z said:
I have about 700sqm, currently have 3 boys and a kitten grazing here. My work is pretty cut out for me. :p
I bet that kitten takes up a lot of pasture. :D

485 acres most of it in Fayette County Alabama. No cows at this time as we are PROBABLY mining most of the property. No big operations or scars; but I did have kidney dialysis twice.

440 deeded. 160 rented. About 1000 in the surrounding area that neighbours would like for me to take off their hands. :cowboy: :lol2:

Thanks for all the responses, next question, whats your average day like?

For me, since I'm a teacher/coach/bus driver I get up around 5 or 5:30, cook breakfast for my son and me (he's 16), leave the house around 6:40, after school work, most of the time ride 4 wheeler to check cows,every couple of days feed catfish, school out for us May 22, then my work really gets going, need to do alot of fenching, start on a catch pen and maybe a shed.

get up at 6:30, leave for my bus route at 7
home between 9-9:30 depending if it is a fuel day or not, or if i have to go to the garage for repairs, then it's 10 or 11. Hubby tries to get feeding done by then, then we have breakfast, unless i have to go to the garage. It's our get the days started thing. If we miss breakfast at 9 together, results in a haywire day
work on the farm in a variety of jobs. Cows, bees, garden/yard, candle making/wax processing, data entry correspondence course, general farm stuff. I do not fence as alot of our fence is in the bush, and i get tangled easily, resulting in that Irish, red headed female temper rearing it's ugly head and taking it our on a poor defenseless bush...and those dang wood ticks..lol
back on the bus at 3
home by 5
dinner then work till dark outside. Sometimes dinner is late cause when I drive bus we eat lunch at two. If it is winter, indoor work
got rid of the chickens, not enough hours in the day.
Add in there church committees, for both of us, house work, canning, and anything else a farm wife does.

We own 960 acres, rent from parents 640 acres, close to 1/2 of all this is bush. We wintered 147 bee hives, took heavy losses because of the long cold winter and the poor summer and fall conditions, and downsizes our cow heard by half last fall, again cause of poor weather and hay crop. I must say that that was nice this calving. Not as rushed all the time.

Finshed the last of the data entry, off to the accountants, should have been sunny today, would have liked to work with the bees. Oh well, there is laundry, dishes, and yard work awaiting...

I have a small operation. Most would call it a hobby. 50 deeded acres, 40 rented. Run only a dozen commercial pairs. Have a few acres of burley tobacco and several acres of hay. I only keep a few cows to graze the land that isn't practical to do anything else with. I wish I could make more off cattle because I truly love to work with them. Truth is, I'm in horse country, and hay is worth more than the cattle are.

What is my day like? Get up at 6:00, pull my 8 at the day job, come home and work until after dark on the farm. Saturdays are daylight to dark, no need for a clock. I try not to do much except church on Sundays, but I seem to get my ox stuck in a ditch quite often.

Latest posts