How big is big enough?

Help Support CattleToday:

sandhills

Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to figure out just how many acres it will require to support my family. The land has a carrying capicity of 10 acres to a cow. That is a conservative stocking rate. I am planning on runing a cow/calf opertation. Thanks for the help. :tiphat:

with those figures youd need 2000 to 3000acs.that would give you 200 to 300 momma cows.

Wouldn't a lot of that depend on how big the family is and their standard of living?

Walt

yes it probably would. I am married with 2 children. What would that size ranch support for cost of living?

200 cows could prolly support you.but it would be tough making payments on everything.do yall have off farm jobs.

I would suspect the amish could live off a lot less. Of course an amish person wouldn't be posting on the boards. It would be cool if they did though.

Walt

Txwalt":1rup6a0y said:
I would suspect the amish could live off a lot less. Of course an amish person wouldn't be posting on the boards. It would be cool if they did though.

Walt
a amish would make a living on a rock,,,, their like a foriegn country surrounded by a imaginary fence within a country

sandhills":wruzkxli said:
yes it probably would. I am married with 2 children. What would that size ranch support for cost of living?
Better question is what would a ranch that size cost you......and where are you going to get the money. Then you have to invest in the equipment, cows and a place to live.

What do you have as seed money to even get this started?

bigbull338":vev2ti05 said:
200 cows could prolly support you.but it would be tough making payments on everything.do yall have off farm jobs.

We do right now. There would be no land payment if that helps. There would be a loan on the cattle though. I would have the option to rent as much land as I would desire.

ok your answers help alot.now you need to figure out how much your monthly expenses would be.that includes your payments an living expenses a month.then see what number of cows could meet those expenses.an figure an extra 15% on the monthly expenses.

What kind of facilities/infrastructure are in place? How much real cattle experience do you have? How much will you be paying to lease land? Do you have equipment or will you need to buy that?

The facilities and infastructure are in place. It is...was a working ranch. I grew up on the ranch so I have quite a bit of experience and know the lay of the land. The land that I would lease would be 150 a cow/calf pair if I had to or wanted to. I need to know a ballpark how many acres I would want so as to not have to rent to suppliment the income. The equipment would already be on the property. I would just have to pay for repairs.

A little taste of reality now...

Ya got land. Ya got infastructure and ya got the knowhow. Ya even have 150 cows. What about the bank roll? Is it a piggybank or a suitcase? Even if you could clear $100 a head on 150 cows a year you are still living in poverty? You might have a million in assets but you are cash poor.

Its really not that hard to ranch full time if you and your wife are willing to be open minded. First, your wife will have to continue working. Preferably a job with health benefits. Second get a live-in girlfriend that makes as much as you do currently. Problem solved.
:kid:
Walt

Just a few thoughts to add...

If you do take out a loan to purchase the cows, you'll have to figure in the payment. Other expenses----basic cattle management stuff, de-wormers, vaccines,tags, etc. Don't forget to include some % of death loss. Some years there may be no death loss, others there may be some.

Health care for you and the family. Set a realistic budget for equipment usage, maintenance, repairs, parts etc. Feed costs (hay, mineral and other supplementaion).

Depending on your lifestyle, I think you may need more than 200 cows. I think 200 cows is a modest number for a very simple lifestyle.

One thing that you've got going for you now, is you've got the land and the equipment.

Good luck. :D

Katherine

The less the better. If we are losing $50 per head, then having 1,000 cows will lose more money than having one cow. In this environment where exports are flooding the market and having irratic climate patterns, we could be better off flipping burgers @ minimum wage.

Sandhill

Don't have an answer to your question, but would strongly suggest you read Greg Judy's book "No Risk Ranching" it will explain some things you should find valuable.

Here's a link where you can buy it. Scroll down to the middle of the page for this particular book. Also, you should find the other books on this site valuable.

http://www.powerflexfence.com/catalog01.25.html

Kinda sounds like you are taking over the family farm or some form of family trust that you need to lease from. What did you do all thoes years that you lived on the place, granted the markets are different but some folks remember the late seventys and the market back then, didn't own any cows back then but heard all the complaining from the family. Any way I'm sure that you plan on having other sources of income, hay, freezer beef, market crops. Good luck, Dave Mc

Enough to feed two kids and keep your wife happy.You know what the lease is and I figure you know what cows cost and if you can make enough feed cheap enough for winter.You tell us.

No one makes money, yet here we are! I always thourgt if I only owned 750 ac. here in the middle of west Tn. and had 250 good cows that I mignt make a good living fo my self... If I raised reg., or show stock, I might make even more money........AND IF FROG HAD WINGS, HE WOULD STILL BUMP HIS A$$ , JUST NOT AS OFTEN.....I was born with nothing, and have had noting gave to me,yet here I am alive and kicking.....never enough land and always to many cattle...Life is just to short for me to grow all the grass I want ...ALF

GO FOR IT, BORN WITH NOTHING , TAKE NOTHING WITH YOU...

Latest posts