How big is a 500 lb calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

vanacres

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of calves that are about 500 lbs?

Just trying to get an idea. I did several searches and came up empty.

The two Angus (Brangus) steers I'm getting once they're weaned in a week or two were born in May or June according to the guy I'm getting them from. That makes them at least 7 months old and he thinks they're 500 lbs or a little more, but he says he's not very good at all at judging weight. For that age, I'd think they're more than that, and they look it to me, but I have no experience. I just imagine they're at least three of me, and I'm about 200 lbs.

Anyway, not really important because I'm getting them regardless. Just curious.

The two Angus (Brangus) steers I'm getting once they're weaned in a week or two were born in May or June according to the guy I'm getting them from. That makes them at least 7 months old and he thinks they're 500 lbs or a little more, but he says he's not very good at all at judging weight. For that age, I'd think they're more than that, and they look it to me, but I have no experience. I just imagine they're at least three of me, and I'm about 200 lbs.

If they were vorn in May or June, did you see them at Thanksgiving or Christmas? They were at 500 lbs then.

7 months = 210 days x 2 lbs per day = 420 + 80 lb birth weight = 500 lbs

227 kg. I weighed my calves today and would have a couple around that weight. If I think about it tomorrow I'll try and get some pics of the ones around that weight.

Ken
Won't work. Things weigh more down there on the bottom of the blue ball. Want proof? Just drop a marble in a bucket.

When buying and selling feeder or butcher cattle, a scale or at the least, a weigh tape is your best friend.

I don't think it will be much use to yo
Well, actually, I wasn't looking for "usefulness" when I made the original post. Just curiosity, and what you posted is exactly what I was looking for. So, thank you for that.

But honestly, I think it is of some use, and I appreciate you posting.

Nice looking cattle.

Here's a couple not so great pics. Next to full size cows for reference as well. These are heifers tho. The black heifer is standing next to a 565lb beltie. So she's probly gonna be a touch bigger than 500.
20230119_174508.jpg
Same calf is on the right. NOT FAR RIGHT obviously. The baldie will go 500 pretty easy. The big heifer on the left (next to her mama) is is half the age of the baldie. And she's big!
20230115_164038.jpg

Latest posts