How bad does she look?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
10 year old cow, calved a couple weeks ago. Small calf. Found the calf bawling Tuesday morning, cow was 100 yards away from calf with other cows just did not seem to care. Ran the calf over to her, it nursed a little bit then cow laid down. Check her later and she seemed ok. Ears up, alert and laying around with other cows, calf was quiet. Next morning she seemed worse again, I thought she looked a little bloated. Not the best pic/ A decision has already been made, what would you have done?

IMG_06302_zps30086197.jpg

Just looks like she has a good fill to me. And for a 10 year old in pretty darn good condition.

Would have been a quick trip to the sales barn. Better than digging a hole. Did it last year with a cow that started bloating and her calf. Only end up with about $800 for the two of them, but still better than digging a hole.

branguscowgirl":1w4sbext said:
What do you mean "a decision has already been made"? What did you do?
I took her to the vet. Tubed her with no luck. She suggested shipping her. She was getting around decent but just did not act like herself, her calf acted hungry and her udder did not look full of milk.
I took her to a sale that day, pen hooker made a offer and I took it, thought that was a sure thing for me. Heard he had to buy her back and he took her to the sale I normally go to the next day. Evidently she got not bids from what a friend at the sale said. He said to watch the pen hooker as he would try to come back on me.

What do you mean he had to buy her back and how does anything go through a sale with no bids? You could send a three legged cow through our barn and somebody would buy it if only for slaughter.

Craig Miller":fw57kiwx said:
What do you mean he had to buy her back and how does anything go through a sale with no bids? You could send a three legged cow through our barn and somebody would buy it if only for slaughter.
The first sale he was the high bidder trying to run her up from what I was told. My buddy told me that no one bid on her at the sale the next day. surprised me, she did not look that bad in my opinion. So not sure what happened to her. Except for some really sick baby calves it would be the first I saw of no bids. Guess the guy will be mad at me.

Sounds odd. I would have thought that they would have split them and someone would buy the calf to either put on a cow that lost one or as a bottle calf.

branguscowgirl":2x4d2atg said:
Sounds odd. I would have thought that they would have split them and someone would buy the calf to either put on a cow that lost one or as a bottle calf.
I kept the calf to put with a twin we had.

TennesseeTuxedo":3c8f1egd said:
So what was the actual problem with the cow?
Vet thought she might have had some type of obstruction. She kept regurgitating water back up when tubing her, vet said that was not good.

Craig Miller":tk3g1j6w said:

Same here. I never heard of a condition that would get no bids at all. I sold one earlier this year that was almost three, wouldn't breed, was slim, and streamed green snot all the time. She didn't bring a fortune, but I was pleased.

Sorry about your cow. Happy you got a good price on her before she went belly up.
I can see the bloat in the pic.

Latest posts