how are these steers doing?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
They're about 13-14 months, I'm guessing around 1,000lbs, maybe a little closer to 1,100, been on a little bit of grain since June and I'm hoping to butcher in October. They're on about 10-12lbs of corn/hd/day right now, and getting free choice grass/alfalfa hay. What'ch'ya'll think?

steers81907.jpg

steersI_81907.jpg

those are some nice steers.they are finishing out quiet nicely.id guess their weight at 950 to 1000.they should be finished out by oct.

That's only 60 days away... how much more finish do they need?

FWIW, they're half angus, half holstein.

Which half is going to have the good beef and which half isn;t? Our expert tells us that Holsteins don;t make good beef so I'm curious

I think you are going to have alot of beef there, regardless of what the quality will be.

dun":21zck5ns said:
Which half is going to have the good beef and which half isn;t? Our expert tells us that Holsteins don;t make good beef so I'm curious
My thoughts exactly dun. Those are some nice looking steers, I bet they will go real well w/bbq sauce, gravy,A-1, ETC.

Milkmaid, your doing a good job with those steers. I to think 1000 pound plus. Maybe increase the corn. I think they'll be choice in Oct.

milkmaid":1lwfg46p said:
That's only 60 days away... how much more finish do they need?

FWIW, they're half angus, half holstein.
well you need tobe feeding them 10 to 15lbs a hd a day for the next 45 to 60 days.they bout 200 to 250lbs off of finish weight.so in 45 days you can put another 100lbs on them.butcher at 1100lbs live weight more or less.

LOL. Left half is holstein, right half is angus. I'll let ya know which side tastes better. :p

By October I'm hoping they'll be some really soggy corn-fed calves. They've got adequate frame, it just needs some more cover. We're butchering one, and I'm selling the other. The one with white on is actually the better animal... the black has too much frame and gut and not enough hindquarter.

I'll take them up to 15lbs/hd/day then, and I'll try to get some pics posted before they're slaughtered and see how they finish out.

milkmaid":20syiyhg said:
I'll take them up to 15lbs/hd/day then, and I'll try to get some pics posted before they're slaughtered and see how they finish out.
thatll work are they on pasture as well.

milkmaid":1mbio9r0 said:
Nope. They've been penned since mid-May, just on hay and corn.
ok cause i was going to say if in pen.feed them all the hay they can eat.

If they were mine I'd have them eating 3% of their body weight per day. That's what the good doctors at the university say and more importantly that's what the good feedlots around me do.

Are you feeding them just corn in their grain ration?

You might want to consider a more balanced feed. I think you will like your meat better if you feed them more than just corn.

Just a thought

End of October at the earliest. Mid-November at the latest. Bump up the feed to 15 lbs/hd/day, with some barley in the mix.

Under ideal circumstances I would feed 2.5-3% of their body weight per day. But, long story short, I can't feed them 30lbs/hd/day. They'll have to finish on 15lbs/hd/day.

Yep, they're on just corn. Why would I want to add barley?

milkmaid":22bfdh8p said:
Under ideal circumstances I would feed 2.5-3% of their body weight per day. But, long story short, I can't feed them 30lbs/hd/day. They'll have to finish on 15lbs/hd/day.

Yep, they're on just corn. Why would I want to add barley?
Your first post said they're on free-choice hay in addition to the corn, right? They might need a bit of protein depending on the quality of the hay. But I think they look pretty good at this point and I'd expect them to be ready in October.

milkmaid":30nfak4t said:
LOL. Left half is holstein, right half is angus. I'll let ya know which side tastes better. :p

By October I'm hoping they'll be some really soggy corn-fed calves. They've got adequate frame, it just needs some more cover. We're butchering one, and I'm selling the other. The one with white on is actually the better animal... the black has too much frame and gut and not enough hindquarter.
Could they be genetically engineered so that the back half is Angus and the front half is Holstein? That way the steaks would be more likely to be Angus. Also, if they were cows, could they be bred so that two quarters give Angus milk and two quarters give Holstein milk? 8)

Latest posts