How are these numbers in comparison?

Help Support CattleToday:

texbulldog

Reaction score
These are some ultrasound values for this black hereford bull.
His weight then was 1980 pounds. He was ultrasounded and his ribeye was 18'', his IMF was a 3.4, and his BF was a .65
darthvaderchampion.jpg

Very small rib eye, IMF is on the low side and the back fat is high.

Of course that is just my opinion

Jovid":2hi9329a said:
Very small rib eye, IMF is on the low side and the back fat is high.

Of course that is just my opinion

I agree with Jovid. A bull should have 1.1 inches of ribeye per 100 lbs. IMF is low and bull carries too much back fat.

texbulldog":m6yt0qzs said:
These are some ultrasound values for this black hereford bull.
His weight then was 1980 pounds. He was ultrasounded and his ribeye was 18'', his IMF was a 3.4, and his BF was a .65

Comparison to what? How old was he when he was ultrasounded. Did he have a contemporary group? Was he on a feed test?

sooknortex":27efigmv said:
This is what chaps my arse!!!

Who cares about the numbers just LOOK at the bull. It tells you everything you need to know.

Frankie, would you know what a good bull looks like or do you need the Angus Journal to tell you?

Numbers breeders, I love 'em!!!!!!!!

Send your address and I'll see if I can get a big jug of Vasaline headed your way. You seem to get chapped at about anything.

The guy didn't ask for an opinion on the bull; he asked for an opinion on the NUMBERS. And that's what I addressed: not a lecture about the bull. This may come as a teriffic shock to you, Sooknortex, but most people on this board don't especially care what you (or I) think of their livestock. Doesn't bother me at all. But apparently you're one of those guys who insists on telling the rest of us how we should raise cattle. Get over it. :roll:

Frankie":2jp46ffy said:
sooknortex":2jp46ffy said:

Who cares about the numbers just LOOK at the bull. It tells you everything you need to know.

Frankie, would you know what a good bull looks like or do you need the Angus Journal to tell you?

Send your address and I'll see if I can get a big jug of Vasaline headed your way. You seem to get chapped at about anything.

The guy didn't ask for an opinion on the bull; he asked for an opinion on the NUMBERS. And that's what I addressed: not a lecture about the bull. This may come as a teriffic shock to you, Sooknortex, but most people on this board don't especially care what you (or I) think of their livestock. Doesn't bother me at all. But apparently you're one of those guys who insists on telling the rest of us how we should raise cattle. Get over it. :roll:

Careful Frankie - some folks might start calling you Bez+

Bez+

sooknortex":71ks3qj6 said:
>>Frankie, would you know what a good bull looks like or do you need the Angus Journal to tell you?<<

I see you answered my question!

Next time, I'm up at Duncan playing golf, I'll bring you some pictures by of some decent looking cattle. I'll even make them Angus, so you'll recognize them.

You're soooo funny. According to you, I'm stupid because I use numbers to make breeding decisions, yet you, genius that you are, carry around PICTURES to make your breeding decisions! Have they been photoshopped? ROTFLMAO!

So you go ahead and use your photoshopped (or not) pictures to make breeding decisions, I'll continue to use time tested, research-approved, EPDs in my breeding decisions.

As for sale prices, the woods are full of high dollar Angus bulls that never got much use. 1407 sold for considerably more than you're quoting and I didn't use him either. :roll:

Bez+":1p1g3ohw said:
Frankie":1p1g3ohw said:
sooknortex":1p1g3ohw said:

Bez+

:) Wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Are you home or away?

Bez+

:) Wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Are you home or away?

I will be sure to remind you about that some time in the future when you and I tie into it about those dammed worthless black cows of yours and that scam called CAB. 8)

I am away - looking like another year has been added on - will not know for about a month - looks strong that I will stay here. I get an additional three weeks at home mid year if I stay - it helps. If not, I go home for six months and then Afghanistan for a year - six of one half dozen of the other.

Last tour for me - age and time have taken their toll - planning to retire from this game - it belongs to the young folks. Two years in theatre is a long time.

0100 here - I am off to the sleeping bag and my comfy air mattress.

Sorry for the high jack - back to the topic at hand.

Oh, by the way - vaseline can be purchased in 45 gallon drums - it is much cheaper!

Stay safe and be happy - my best to you and yours,

Bez+

sooknortex":36dpnwgq said:

I keep looking for one of those Black Hereford bulls that I like! I still haven't found one yet. I guess they've got too much Felton genetics in them! :devil2: :lol2:

George

Herefords.US":1gppi0lf said:
sooknortex":1gppi0lf said:

I keep looking for one of those Black Hereford bulls that I like! I still haven't found one yet. I guess they've got too much Felton genetics in them! :devil2: :lol2:

George

.... or maybe not enough?

I reckon they've got too much angus in them, but that might just be me. :?:

Latest posts