How about your state?

Help Support CattleToday:

HUS

Reaction score
---
Things I have learned living in North Carolina ...

1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road .
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in North Carolina.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders.. All 10,000 of them live in North Carolina , plus a couple no one has ever seen before!
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5.'Onced' and 'Twiced' are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy.
7. 'Jaw-P?' means 'Did y'all go to the bathroom?'
8. People actually grow and eat okra. (And love it!)
9. 'Fixinto' is one word.
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.
12. Backwards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.' After you reach the age of 40 you're allowed to say " Backards and fowwards".
13. The word 'Jeet' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see. "Backer" farming requires it.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.
16. Castor oil cured all things before doctors knew how to.

MORE THINGS TO LET YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM NORTH CAROLINA :
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You have had to switch from heat to A/C in the same day.
3. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
4. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
5. You carry jumper cables in your car? (for your OWN car.)
6. 90% of NC kitchens will have these five spices/condiments: Morton Salt, McCormick Black Pepper, Texas Pete, Duke's Mayonnaise, and Hunt's Ketchup.
7. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and motorsports.
8. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
9. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a bit warm'.
10. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas.
11. Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' to Wally World or Wal-Martin'.
12. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chicken stew weather.
13. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
14. We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive, dag-nabbit.
15. You protect a neighbor's good name and tan the hides on their kids as well as yours if they all mis-behave together at your place. The neighbor appreciates it.

J Let?s all sing it together folks??I like callin? North Carolina home!?
Ya'll come when ye can, we'll fix something good for supper for you and the young-uns!

I can identify with the majority of this...and I'm from Texas! Must be a southern/rural thang.

Those are funny...and so true!

Alice

alacattleman":22kptqav said:
a yankee ask me why i call lunch....."dinner'..so when do yuse guys have dinner ? i said at supper
I really don't think it is so much as a yankee/southern thing as it is a country/city thing... :?

I done travelled to Jawjah a few times, and I can see where that comes from

Is "brang" (or brung) a word down there?

Coming from the northwest... it took me a while to get used to the accents and lingo, and it rubs off on me fast

I like the sweet tea too

Nesikep":1kvgy38m said:
Is "brang" (or brung) a word down there?

Yep, one is what you gunna do and the other you done did.

Gunna brang you a mess o peas.

I brung yous a mess o peas. ;-)

On directions, you best brush up on your geneology and learn who lived where and when. If they tell you to turn right just past Rosa Welborn's house you best know the white house that the Smith's are living in used to be her house about 100 years ago. Also a good idea to learn the names of the 100 or so babtist churchs.

"Brang, brung,......... mess of peas :lol: :lol: .... all ya'll have heard the same ones apparently. Thanks for your versions and uses.

A few more that are used often around here: (First the word, then the definition, and then an example of how it is used in NC.)

"Adderwhile" (after while): example, "I'm leaving adderwhile."
"Ammalants" (ambulance): example, "They picked him up in the ammalants."
"Beetiness" (expression of amazement): example,"That's the beetiness story I ever heard."
"Chunk": (throw) example, "Chunk the ball over yonder."
"Goozle" ( inside the throat): example, "I had gas pains all the way up to my goozle."
"Gummint" (government): example, "I am fed up with the gummint."
"Hope M'Die" (expression of amazement): example, " I hope m'die, I did not even see him go by."
"Hope M'Claire" (expression of amazement): example, " I hope m'claire its cold outside."
"Preeshate" (appreciate) example, "I preeshate all that your family has done."
"Shed" (to get rid of ) example, "I'm getting shed of that broke down tractor."
"Quare" (odd) example, "That's a quare bunch of people."
"Yestiddy" (the day before today) example, " I was meaning to come see ya'll yestiddy."

I have a strange feeling that NC is not the only location that uses these terms. Its time to confess..........

Latest posts