How about this?

Help Support CattleToday:

To the experienced cattleman, this seems so removed from the real world of cattle it hardly makes sense. Yet to someone with no experience it might seem authoritative.
Makes me wonder about myself when I read something on the internet about which I have little first hand knowledge. Is what I am reading total nonsense and I just do not know enough about it to make the distinction?

To the experienced cattleman, this seems so removed from the real world of cattle it hardly makes sense. Yet to someone with no experience it might seem authoritative.
Makes me wonder about myself when I read something on the internet about which I have little first hand knowledge. Is what I am reading total nonsense and I just do not know enough about it to make the distinction?
Statistics from a breed, or special sale averages....

Last edited:
The #1 was Wagyu for $30,000? I watched online while B bought 2 semi loads of Wagyu cows at a well advertised dispersal sale. Believe me he paid no where near that amount.

Belties and jerseys are among the most expensive cows in the world!!

Even longhorns made the list.... sheesh

I didn't read the article... but those animals are expensive because they are less productive. You can buy them cheap but they produce low weight, no meat calves and eat just as much as good cattle. THAT makes them expensive.

EDIT: Okay, I cruised through the article. What a bunch of hooey.

Justin (the author) is most likely in junior high school with no real world experience, using information gathered from other online sources with no common sense filter. But his article is online now too, so it must be fact and will be cited by others.
The blind leading the blind.

Last edited:
Murray maybe you could provide prices on emus and ostriches for those interested in chicken ranching in a big way. :)
U starting a chicken ranch?

🤣

It's on the internet, it must be true!

It's a club.
I'll buy yours, you'll buy mine.
When I was a kid longhorns were very rare, and it was something to see one, even here in Texas, now they are everywhere, and cheap.
You could run that 10k longhorn straight through a stockyard. And it might, fetch you $300.00.

You could run that 10k longhorn straight through a stockyard. And it might, fetch you $300.00.
Same with the $6k Gelbievs and Limosines, and the $30k Waygu. Same thing if you ran a $100k Keenland yearling through the local Saturday night horse and tack sale. On the flip side, at a local sale barn around here, you'd be hard pressed to see a Hereford cow bring $1500. Might would if she sold as a pair with a black calf by her side.

I couldn't believe it, but Saturday they sold these 3 and they brought close to a buck a lb!
View attachment 30610View attachment 30611
How much did they weigh, Murray? I can believe it. The ridiculously high prices for cattle these days, has driven the price of ALL cattle up. If I tried to replace the CVorr herd we just sold, I'd have to give about $500 or more a head instead of the $250 a head I used to buy them for. Then again, the 2021 calves sold for $1.50 a lbbthat August, and if I had them today they would bring $2.50+ a pound. At $1/lb, those 3 cows would wean a calf that would bring twice what they cost if bred to the right bull.. No other breed of cows sold that day would do that

How much did they weigh, Murray? I can believe it. The ridiculously high prices for cattle these days, has driven the price of ALL cattle up. If I tried to replace the CVorr herd we just sold, I'd have to give about $500 or more a head instead of the $250 a head I used to buy them for. Then again, the 2021 calves sold for $1.50 a lbbthat August, and if I had them today they would bring $2.50+ a pound. At $1/lb, those 3 cows would wean a calf that would bring twice what they cost if bred to the right bull.. No other breed of cows sold that day would do that
2 of em were pretty light. Less than 500.
I think the biggest was pushing 700

The non horned crossbred brought 600 bucks. I remember that. Lol

Latest posts