How about this RA Bull Calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

BA

Reaction score
537email.jpg

How about this bull? Same as last one - Reg #1036806

He looks good BA . He's roomy . I like that. What is he weighing ? How is he doing on test?

The final weight is today and tomarrow. I would guess that he is probably 1,100 to 1,150 lbs. He was a March 17th calf, so he is a little young. He was doing about average on test through 80 days, but he appears to have turned it on quite a bit, I would guess he will be one of the top gaining bulls in the calving ease division.

He's pretty wide topped. He doesn't have near the frame of the other bull. His mother is a None Better 9604 (1B) and the other bull is out of a Hi Ho 916 Cow. Both are good cows, but different in type.

He's out of BJR Gambler 027. He is an ET son of BJR Rambler 5162 out of a BJR Lakina Cow that is out of BJR Excel-a-tor. The lakina cow is the mother of BJR Topper 5241 that was at ABS a long time ago. She was a donor cow eventually for Shoco Red Angus in Montana. Her daughter VDAR Lakina 406 is also a donor in Montana.

The bull has been pretty competitive for performance in the local bull test, but the reason we bought him was to produce good uddered, productive daughters. The udder quality is excellent. He has done everything we hoped for, but has a little more performance than we anticipated.

His epd's aren't earth shattering, but he is from old genetics. With more calves from A.I. bulls, we are seeing that he can hold his own against most of them. I think his numbers will improve a bunch in the next couple years.

Pictures don't always show an animal as they actually are.

Hopefully he's providing your herd exactly what you wanted (good udders and productive daughters) but I think you're sacrificing phenotype. (I'm an inexperienced, amateur wanna be hobby farmer and I freely admit that so my opinion is only that).

Your other bull is nice and I like his stature. He's got good length. If this bull is throwing length in his calves then that's good because he's throwing better than himself (as one would like for them to), but if he's shortening up your heifers is the sacrifice for a good udder worth it?

Take Care and have a great day.

I really won't know until I get the final test weight in the next couple days. I would guess his adj. 365 wt. should be near 1,200 lbs. I will post his actual data in a couple of days.

That is really impressive. He should make for a real good herd bull down the road. With numbers like that, he would work good for either a purebred operation or a commerical operation. :cboy:

He should be very affordable and will likely sell to a commercial producer from this area. With the drought and a poor farming economy in my area, he and his mates probably will sell pretty cheap compared to other parts of the country that have more cattle. Thanks for the compliments on the bull!

His final test stats are: 3.73 ADG 102 Ratio 3.24 WDA for a 109 Ratio 105 Index in the Calving Ease Division. 6.4 Frame 36.6 SC 2/28/06 Weight of 1,128 lbs. and ADJ. 365 Weight of 1,179 lbs. He sells on April 1st. PM for more info.