How about this Craigslist ad

Help Support CattleToday:

Wonder how much he'd charge to for the rights of the scrap metal that's probably laying out there. I might get rich.

4 rounds at $550=$137round + baling costs and most likely full of weeds and no telling what else. Dreamer.
Then again, I saw good 4x5 rounds here last year as high as $148 ea. I also saw rice straw going for $95 each and loads and loads of it going down Texas roads coming out of Louisiana, so someone was buying it--and I doubt it was for bedding. Still, $550 for 4 bales worth of neglected "hayfield"?

Jogee--that scrap iron just adds to the weight of the rounds--makes it look better on pencil. :D

i got 10 acres of dog fennel, maiden cane i would sell for ???? aw heck I would just give it away to help the needy

I have never understood people who profit off of the misfortune of others. Its like showing up at a mud slide to sell shovels. Have a conscious.

That price seems high, but then again as several folks here at CT have explained to me their price is based upon input costs not the actual current market value. The mans input costs are probably high. ;-)

that decision to buy wheat hay this Spring is looking better all the time..........

Sm. square bales alfalfa here (75-110 lbs.) can go from $8 - $22 bale , depending on which side of the mountains you buy it on. East side hay gets hauled to the west side for more $. It's all spendy.

Bigfoot":2arwv7yj said:
I have never understood people who profit off of the misfortune of others. Its like showing up at a mud slide to sell shovels. Have a conscious.

And once someone locally finds they can sell for those higher prices, even in good years following, the prices never seem to go back down to what they were before the drought. They may be drop lower than the drought year, but never to the "usual" level. Kinda reminds me of fuel prices when a hurricane rips thru the Gulf coast states. Gas and diesel prices skyrocket the minute one passes the Yucatan, and never seem to fall back to pre-storm levels.

I will say this on the feed prices though. There are many guys who are selling feed and it seems high but with the way costs are they aren't gonna get rich.

What a joke. I know some local producers who shipped hay South last year for a boat load of money and this year are griping and moaning about paying a higher but still fair price considering the drought. I hope they get screwed just like they tried to screw people last year. Dad always said, "what goes around comes around".

J&D Cattle":3hzt5x4u said:
What a joke. I know some local producers who shipped hay South last year for a boat load of money and this year are griping and moaning about paying a higher but still fair price considering the drought. I hope they get screwed just like they tried to screw people last year. Dad always said, "what goes around comes around".

I couldn't agree more. I never bought any hay last year because I refused to pay 150 a roll for bar ditch baling that had baby diapers and beer cans in it and was nothing more than weeds. I watched many of my friends and neighbors get bent over big time by some jerk who swore it was timothy/alfalfa or orchard grass/ clover hay. It's bad enough to be in the worst drought in 100 years and struggling everyday to keep it together and not have to sell out, then to have some friggin low life take advantage of someone else's misfortune. You are exactly right I hope that the same people who took advantage last year get whats coming to them.

Sorry, hope i didn't step on any toes here, it just riles me up to think about it.

Latest posts