How about this Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

By the way, I should point out that we are still on hay here and a good two weeks from putting them on grass. This is after a long winter and yes, he has lice. All the cattle were worked this week. They will look much different in 45 days but if you don't like his look now, you probably won't then. Just wanting to explain the general condition, not try to make an excuse. I'm happy with how he looks given this stage of the game.

I'm far from an expert too. He is long for sure, but at 3+ yrs old I expect a little more. He is not the worst I've seen by any means.

ohiosteve":5xzolrtq said:
I'm far from an expert too. He is long for sure, but at 3+ yrs old I expect a little more. He is not the worst I've seen by any means.

Steve, out of curiosity, more what, pounds? I don't push anything with any hot ration or grain of any kind. They have to make it on straight grass and hay.

I admit I was overly critical. I was just looking for a little more depth and masculinity out of a bull over 3 yrs old. That was my first impression, I'm sure he would look different if you pushed him on feed and I like seeing pictures of bulls on grass only.

Steve,

I just want to reiterate that you didnt upset or offend me at all. I also agree that he could be deeper, especially in his rear girth and I personally wish he had more length of hip. He will look a little sassier come July. 7 months of hay, even good hay, can take the shine off for sure.

inyati13":1ojoyvwl said:
Come on guys. The best Phenotype the world has ever seen is not worth a cup of cold water unless we know his Genotype!!!
An extreme point of view, to say the least.
Unless Genotype is known...then Phenotype is completely useless. Really?
IF you can't even see what is wrong with that statement then just too close minded to discuss logically.

Been gone a while...........good to see that very little has changed around here.....this is a 2 1/2 year old bull I am selling tomorrow to a longtime customer that runs cattle on the Apache Reservation in NM, he had bred 28 cows in 6 weeks in this picture.

artesianspringsfarm":11cn88pg said:
Figured I would dredge this one up since it was a fun conversation when we initially had it and since he was posing today. Some didn't like this bull when I first posted and some still may not. Totally fine by me. I pointed out my goal with this bull and all my bulls for the near future is to grow my herd from within using bulls that will make good mommas in the future. Of course this means the first year I used him I got no heifers but this year I do have some yearling heifers of his that will be bred in a couple months. The jury is still out on him but I will say this: I have had 20+ calves from him with no pulls or calving issues, he has covered every cow I've put in front of him, his steers have done well and he is a pleasure to work around, moving every day in the summer easily and never causing any real issues. Here he is today:

IMG_3123_zpsq5manqb4.jpg

IMG_3127_zpsjslwiksg.jpg

IMG_3135_zpsnwmitbsf.jpg

Here is one of his heifers:

IMG_3151_zpsrrmzuazp.jpg

And here is one of his 90 day old calves out of a workhorse of a momma:

IMG_3139_zps3xdvg9tq.jpg
He has matured alot. With that said I would like more muscle in the hinny :2cents: I like that other bull alot :)

If you are interested in a city opinion. I skipped down to here so as not to be influenced by what others think.
Well balanced with good bone structure, small, masculine head, clean through brisket and neck. Good sheen to hair and hide. Excellent condition--not fat.
If I could improve him:
1. needs depth
2. needs more capacity
3. needs a longer rump
4. needs more bend at the hocks
I'll now post this then go back and read what others said and see how I did.

After a second look I'll take back what I said about a masculine head--not terrible but not what a herd bull should be. Also, I forgot about those rough shoulders.

3waycross":24hd6mi9 said:
Been gone a while...........good to see that very little has changed around here.....this is a 2 1/2 year old bull I am selling tomorrow to a longtime customer that runs cattle on the Apache Reservation in NM, he had bred 28 cows in 6 weeks in this picture.

Looks pretty good, couple things a guy could change about him but its hard to judge much on his leg structure at that angle anyway.

Jake":17euer1x said:
3waycross":17euer1x said:

Looks pretty good, couple things a guy could change about him but its hard to judge much on his leg structure at that angle anyway.

He is not postlegged as he would appear in the picture. He actually has a nice set to his hocks. Curious what else you would change. The only place I fault his is he is a little loose in the sheath.

3waycross":398k99q1 said:
He is not postlegged as he would appear in the picture. He actually has a nice set to his hocks. Curious what else you would change. The only place I fault his is he is a little loose in the sheath.

I wondered if the way he was standing made his rear legs look that way as the back leg doesn't look that bad even with awkward weight on it.

I would like to see a little more heart girth in him but outside of that there isn't much to criticize.

Jake":1vrksoxe said:
3waycross":1vrksoxe said:

I wondered if the way he was standing made his rear legs look that way as the back leg doesn't look that bad even with awkward weight on it.

I would like to see a little more heart girth in him but outside of that there isn't much to criticize.

Thanks Jake! I haven't produced many purebred GV's that I liked better. He's bigfooted and has tons of bone. He should make some scalebusters for my buddy in NM. He will be replacing his maternal uncle to a bit of linebreeding going on there.

3waycross":jfz0l3ul said:
Jake":jfz0l3ul said:
3waycross":jfz0l3ul said:

Thanks Jake! I haven't produced many purebred GV's that I liked better. He's bigfooted and has tons of bone. He should make some scalebusters for my buddy in NM. He will be replacing his maternal uncle to a bit of linebreeding going on there.

Any pictures of the dam? I'll be honest I really care more about what the bulls mother looks like than what he looks like most of the time.

Latest posts