How about hickory nuts?

Help Support CattleToday:

gonzo

Reaction score
I cleared a pasture last year that goes threw some bottom land that has some giant shagbark hickory trees on it . This year nuts are in abundance . I got 2 heifers and a stear down there and there fight'n over the nuts ,shucks and all .Just wonder'n is it good for them or should I gett'm out of therefore spell and clean up the nuts. :?:

Never seen cattle mess with hickory nuts - and don't recall ever finding hickory nuts or walnuts in a cow's stomach - but they'll sure eat the heck out of persimmons and pecans(husk and all).

Our cattle eat walnuts. You would think those would be worse than hickory. It amazes me that they like green walnuts, but hey, who am I to judge?

cow pollinater":21l19acs said:
I have a dairyman who feeds pistachios. My cows eat acorns... can't be much worse.
Pistachios???? How can he afford to feed those?

gonzo":1ymwk91e said:
I cleared a pasture last year that goes threw some bottom land that has some giant shagbark hickory trees on it . This year nuts are in abundance . I got 2 heifers and a stear down there and there fight'n over the nuts ,shucks and all .Just wonder'n is it good for them or should I gett'm out of therefore spell and clean up the nuts. :?:

That's interesting. I have two large Hickory trees in front of the house in the pasture, and I haven't noticed the cows showing any particular interest. Maybe cows develop different tastes depending on what they are accustomed to.

I had something surprise me during the summer. My mom worked up some fresh corn and had the shucks and cobs to throw out. I took them to the cows thinking it would be such a treat they would probably trample me trying to get to them. I put them out, and they sniffed around them as though it was dog poop and walked away. :???:

I' have many cows, and many hickory trees. I've never seen a cow eat a hickory nut. I've got one cow that will eat Osage oranges. None of the other will.

Bigfoot":3egtfa0a said:
I' have many cows, and many hickory trees. I've never seen a cow eat a hickory nut. I've got one cow that will eat Osage oranges. None of the other will.

Had a cow choke to death on an Osage orange. I'm not sure how common that is because now I throw them into another pasture where the cows don't go until after a freeze and the osage oranges shrivel.

Thanks for all the response ,I was down there again Sunday and I see they are keeping the nuts cleaned up. :cboy:

gonzo":5e2pa9d2 said:
Thanks for all the response ,I was down there again Sunday and I see they are keeping the nuts cleaned up. :cboy:

Only problem I can see if that it might be a bit hard on the colon. The darn things probably come out looking just like they did when they went in except maybe a bit more shiny.

How about golf balls , I have a neighbor that hits them onto my property, I picked up 15 balls yesterday. Wondering if the cows would eat them and the side effect.

cowboy43":1ffpnm1f said:
How about golf balls , I have a neighbor that hits them onto my property, I picked up 15 balls yesterday. Wondering if the cows would eat them and the side effect.
Make a golf ball sized potato gun and send the balls back to him. Aim for his shiny and reflective stuff.
I despise people hitting golf balls into the pastures. Lack of respect.
We had one house that would throw their tree trimming over the fence into the field. I threw them all back over plus a couple downed logs that I gathered up just for them. They got the point

herofan":2glmrvbu said:
gonzo":2glmrvbu said:

That's interesting. I have two large Hickory trees in front of the house in the pasture, and I haven't noticed the cows showing any particular interest. Maybe cows develop different tastes depending on what they are accustomed to.

I had something surprise me during the summer. My mom worked up some fresh corn and had the shucks and cobs to throw out. I took them to the cows thinking it would be such a treat they would probably trample me trying to get to them. I put them out, and they sniffed around them as though it was dog poop and walked away. :???:

Our cows love corn husks.

hook,
I've seen way too many cases of folks 'trimming the shrubbery' around their homes and deciding to give the neighbor's cows a 'treat', and pitch it over the fence. It's a very bad deal if those shrubs were Japanese yews.
But, sometimes it's the unknowing producer who does the same thing - some learn the hard way that yew clippings - and even dead, dry, brown Japanese yews pulled out of the foundation plantings and dumped in a ditch will kill the lleh out of cattle.
Same deal with red maple prunings pitched/dumped over the fence into the horse pasture - it'll kill 'em pretty good.

Gee Lucky, I did not know that about Red Maples. We planted 4 a few years ago, but not near the horse pasture. They line the front of our bull pasture, so I will have to make sure I not let the horses out there now. Well, unless I want to get rid of them ;-)

Fire Sweep Ranch":3l3gyzg4 said:
Our cattle eat walnuts. You would think those would be worse than hickory. It amazes me that they like green walnuts, but hey, who am I to judge?

I have a couple walnut trees and they eat the walnuts, have seen them wrassle a fox squirrel from them.
The walnuts have to be green, if the hull turns black they wont touch em.
My place is covered in hickory never seen them go for them.

Long as it aint hurt'n them I'll let it role . Thanks all of you for your help it's great hearing from all of you. :tiphat: