how about a critique on this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":2g7a0fqf said:
cleland - my ISP has been having trouble, and I just spent 2 hours answering your critique request and - - - GONE! I will attempt to do it again tomorrow.

DOC HARRIS

I HATE it when that happens! :x :( :(

I think he looks pretty good, think he is thick, built wide enough, has some bone, Square rump from behind. A lot better than some of the bulls posted lately.

Hope he stays nice now that he is working, the forage looks a little rough in pictures, kind of like here at the moment. If he holds up he might be a good one. I know Gelbvieh are really getting popular in my area.

cleland, he is pretty nice.

If I could make him better, I would make his muscle carry down that hind leg a little farther.

Maybe make him a little deeper.

I would change his sire, for sure. Free Agent will take the marbling out of them, but they look good.

A question. How smooth is he in the shoulder, and how ell does he move? It is probably the picture, but he looks "off" in the front end.

mtnman

Good looking bull. I agree a little with mtnman about carrying the meat lower on his hock, but that seems to be a Guppie trait. Bulls with real round muscle don't seem to carry in down low onto the leg. Wouldn't call it a bad thing though.

All in all, the best bull that's been posted in some time. As far as putting pounds on calves and producing beef, he'll get it done.

He is a good looking bull, I agree about him having a short neck, but, I would be conncerned about the size and shape of his head. Clem :p

cleland":1v0vevu0 said:
well 15 lbs isnt really that much for a 1500 lb animal in my opinion. He may be a little fat right now, but he will work it off. No hes not short, hes not real tall, but definitely not short. I know hes not black, but to get the genetics I wanted I had to go with a red bull. Does anyone want to guess what the price was on him?

I would guess around 1500.00

cleland":1uxvziez said:
well 15 lbs isnt really that much for a 1500 lb animal in my opinion. He may be a little fat right now, but he will work it off. No hes not short, hes not real tall, but definitely not short. I know hes not black, but to get the genetics I wanted I had to go with a red bull. Does anyone want to guess what the price was on him?

He's an ok bull.

Don't really care what you paid for him. As long as your happy

cleland-

Well, after a good night's sleep, and venting my spleen to my DSL supplier - I am ready to critique your bull - once again!

On overall Phenotype assessment this bull is more than acceptable as a potential herd bull. From this picture, it looks as though his right hind leg (foot) is placed in a slight depression tn the ground, and that will affect the level appearance of his rump and hind quarters. His back appears strong and level, blending into a long rump. I would like a more bulge of muscle across the top of the round and down the sides of the rounds. He is a thick-quartered bull, however I would like to see that thickness carrying down a little closer to the hocks from the side view - remembering that he is still only 14 months old! His thickness is not only across his stifles, but extends down to his gaskins and has well developed medial thigh musculature, and shows a moderate rear bulge of the rounds supported by straight legs, well-developed bone and hock positioning with no indication of being cow-hocked or sickle-hocked. He shows enough angle of his hocks viewed from the side to indicate an ability to mount cows without difficulty, which is a critical feature for the effectiveness of a bull to be a good breeder.

I would like to see a little deeper heart-girth and a little wider spring-of-rib - not too much, because he is not that deficient in that regard - he is just a trace pinched behind the shoulders. That would smooth out his shoulder appearance and "lay" it a little more smoothly into his sides. He has well-develop forearm thickness. If he were standing on level ground, his head would be elevated some, which would display his crest to be what I think it really is - well structured for 14 months of age, and also show a smoother neck blending into the shoulder area. His feet and pasterns are well positioned, with toes pointing straight ahead from what is visable at this view. His scrotal development is more than adequate for his age. As Testosterone increases in intensity, his cannon bones will thicken and shorten in relativity and he will become more masculine in appearance.

Ideally, and after all - this is why we are evaluating this bull - I would like to see a little longer-bodied bull, which would increase his capacity and that of his heifers, bearing in mind that the angle of the camera taking the side view picture could distort the true image.

Over-all, I have very little criticism of this 14 month old youngster, and I think that he has the possibilities of maturing into a fine breeding bull, both for Terminal use and the production of Replacement females. His actual weights are great, and his EPD's are in proper balance for a "Profit-Maker" sire, without an excessive Milk EPD. I would not semen test him until he is 16 - 17 months old, as that would be a more legitimate indication than if he were tested at a younger age.

cleland - could you tell us what his Frame score (hip height) is at this time?

Walk tall and be proud! In My Opinion - he is a fine bull!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts