How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Careful what you wish for. I know what you are saying though. A gully washer on bone dry soil will carry off the top inch of soil and leave you with powder an inch under the surface. I'll take a start like above followed by 3 days of gentle, constant rain over a gully washer any day.

We caught part of a thunderstorm last night with rain for about 30 minutes. Chance for another tonight. Hopefully it gets us going. I've been moving fence daily hoping it'll bounce back. Seems to be catching up a little bit.

Considering throwing in the towel on the heifers I've held onto. Might be wise to cash in on them.

Got a little rain here this weekend. Pastures are still pretty lush and green. Very fortunate to have access to all this grass. Just running the girls in this pasture for a few days to try and get it down a little before neighbor puts his feeders in there.

Attachments

• 3E66F477-F001-4A55-BFC0-56A402AA0FE7.jpeg
    3E66F477-F001-4A55-BFC0-56A402AA0FE7.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 10
Chicken litter has been delivered but not spread yet…lots of spraying for weeds to do this week…and still a number of trees to clean up from recent storms…sigh

Careful what you wish for. I know what you are saying though. A gully washer on bone dry soil will carry off the top inch of soil and leave you with powder an inch under the surface. I'll take a start like above followed by 3 days of gentle, constant rain over a gully washer any day.
And there's that. We've had on/off rain the past couple of weeks, but it would take at least a month to fill the ponds at that rate - and we're thankful for every drop we get.

But to your point, this is what happens when you have a gully washer and you're not in a drought:
Culvert jetted out from a road
1685918976812.jpeg
The watershed lake is mere inches from going over the dam and breeches the emergency spillway
1685919096505.jpeg

Yesterday I branded calves. I had a friend that could have helped today; good thing I went ahead and did it yesterday. I rained most of the day here today, but Saturday I was not so sure I was going to get it done. We were getting a few sprinkles when I first got up, and by the time I had the calves sorted off and started branding everyone was dry. Tuesday they all go out to the ranch. Now I am trying to figure out if I want to push back my start calving day for next spring. I have heard it's supposed to be another bad winter. Originally the plan was to put the bulls in with the cows the day we shipped. I guess I got a little better than a day to decide.

Yesterday I branded calves. I had a friend that could have helped today; good thing I went ahead and did it yesterday. I rained most of the day here today, but Saturday I was not so sure I was going to get it done. We were getting a few sprinkles when I first got up, and by the time I had the calves sorted off and started branding everyone was dry. Tuesday they all go out to the ranch. Now I am trying to figure out if I want to push back my start calving day for next spring. I have heard it's supposed to be another bad winter. Originally the plan was to put the bulls in with the cows the day we shipped. I guess I got a little better than a day to decide.
You're all practiced up for a hard winter now, may as well get bulls out. I lived in Lander at the ranch the first 18 years of my life and get up there several times a year. We had a few rough winters with below zero temps, but nothing like last winter with all the snow and below zero on top of it. Would be unlikely to have another as bad as last winter.

The storms missed us Saturday. Pastures are not looking too good so I'll be sending a load of steers down the road and might send the lambs early as well. I still have soybeans to plant, but it's too dry. So the fields (already sprayed and fertilized) sit empty.

It's shaping up to be "One of those years." Hoping a Cat 1 stalls over us for a few days. :LOL:

The storms missed us Saturday. Pastures are not looking too good so I'll be sending a load of steers down the road and might send the lambs early as well. I still have soybeans to plant, but it's too dry. So the fields (already sprayed and fertilized) sit empty.

It's shaping up to be "One of those years." Hoping a Cat 1 stalls over us for a few days. :LOL:
"One of those years" for a second and third time for many. Surely the ebb and flow of the weather cycle will get to the wet end of the spectrum the next year or two.

It appears most guys are getting 50% hay crop compared to most years here in Missouri. Rode around the pastures yesterday and without rain expect to be out of grass by mid-August. Selling 25% of bred cows this week so I have enough grass to get us into fall regrowth and hoping the rain comes this fall. Sourced enough hay at a fair price to get me through until next spring if we remain in a drought the rest of summer and fall.
Looks like most around here are getting a little less this year maybe 80-90%. We are starting to get really dry now though.

Hate to hear your situation. Praying for rain for you and everyone else in need.

We have been getting lots of rain here lately. Today I moved all the remaining hay out of the stack yard, and fed in the stack yard. It's the only place that is not so soupy, and I want them close to the corals so they can be loaded to go to the ranch.

Glad to see good moisture in Wyoming. It sounds like the wildlife took a big hit this year and hopefully this helps start building herds back up.

Glad to see good moisture in Wyoming. It sounds like the wildlife took a big hit this year and hopefully this helps start building herds back up.
Yes it was. A friend of mine does some stuff with the wild horses, and she has posted on facebook about several horses that died over the winter. The grass has never looked so good, my cows should do well this year. Last week when I was out there there was still some places that still had snow on the ground; mostly the draws that the sun could not get to.

Only 30 acres left to spray…unfortunately, I've got to move a big tree that went down in a recent storm to gain access. First, I've got to replace a hydraulic seal for one of the lift arms on the tractor…then hook up the grapple and start cutting and hauling…then spray the last 30 acres…here's hoping my guy has the seal on hand…pretty much shut down without that…and the wheels on the bus go round and round…sigh

Latest posts