Houston, we may have a problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Was hoping the rain would hold off but it didn't. For the last three weeks we've been getting afternoon showers. Got over two inches today. Three weeks ago this was ankle deep but now its on the verge of going rank. If I can get it up this week it should be feed quality hay. If not it will be filler. I could make baleage but I'll chance it and see what I can do but I think its going to be one of those epic haying events.

14055161_1607671842864042_63819137416689254_n.jpg

Hope you get it up before the grasshoppers and army worms find it..... ;-)

Grass is taking off here now that we've had a week long rain. I haven't been plagued by army worms in 4 or 5 years but it's been that long since we had a wet August.

We had 30% today 20% tomorrow and Thursday 10% Friday and Saturday. I moved tractor to a free field of bahaia burmuda minimal weeds and cut a round around the field. Bottom just fell out . and it cam out of GA

Got a patch that looks just like that Joe. Gonna cut it Thursday. I think we should have a little dry spell for the next few days so you can hopefully get it rolled.

Had worms a couple weeks ago. Sprayed with Intrepid. Good stuff and you get some residual. Costs twice as much as Baythroid and Dimlin though. Haven't had many stem maggots this year and that's good. I've made a lot of hay but my pastures are just now getting a little rain. They are in semi bad shape. Will take till next year to get them back up to par. That's if it rains.

I hope to cut either tomorrow or Thursday. So far I've had no worms which is surprising since we just had a full moon and I've seen them around on other places. Looks like good weather in the forecast but you know how forecasts go.

go for it joe, The forecast looks right but as soon as it starts raining you can look and the SOB weather man will have changed the forecast to match the conditions. If the lords willing and the creek don't rise Im gonna cut 45 acres this evening

Weather feels right for cutting but I can't because the grass is still wet from the rain. Had the grass not weeped I'd be cutting now but with it laid over there is water all over the blades of grass. Also I'm afraid the ground is so wet after 2.5 inches of rain the grass would just steam rather than drying. It needs cutting and cutting now but everything is out of my hands and I'll just have to wait. Maybe tomorrow but of course that puts me one day closer to the next rain.

M-5":5iv8lps2 said:
cut it late today or early tonight, start teddering tomorrow as soon as dew drys

I agree. I think method this will serve you well but then again it's easy for me to give directions bc I don't have to deal with the consequences of being wrong.

M-5":ciyxgxte said:
cut it late today or early tonight, start teddering tomorrow as soon as dew drys

If it dries I will but its like sheets of plastic laying on the ground with water standing between every layer on the blades. It could use a good fluffing to shake the water off the blades but this would probably tear up my equipment. Its thick. I'm guessing over 6 rolls an acre stuff.

Just walked through it and found some worms. Heck with it. Let the hair go with the hide I'm going to cut it and hope for the best.

With all the rain you had yesterday I'd of waited myself Jogeephus. We dove through solid rain from Fitzgerald to Valdosta and then all the way to Moultrie yesterday. Seen Mrs Sarah and Chandler at the UGA beef workshop last night also.

I went ahead and started this afternoon Joe. I figured if I was gonna try to give you advice I oughta be brave enough to do it to my own fields :nod:

M-5":2uvmej5a said:
Im in the majority too. Started this afternoon till I found a rock and bent 3 blades , didn't have any with me so now I'm behind and hardly started

Murphys Law rules again. Maybe you can get it whacked down tomorrow.

Jogeephus":37duayqd said:
Got one field cut. I think I'll wait on the other. Looks like good grass there!

It is. This is the one (and only) field I was telling you about that I fertilize exactly according to UGAs reccomendations. Costs two arms and one and a half legs but when it rains like it's supposed to the yields are excellent. I usually have a heck of a time with armyworms this time of the year but I started spraying Intrepid this year and that 25-30 day residual is a Georgia hay growers best friend!

Latest posts