Help Support CattleToday:


Oct 17, 2004
Reaction score
I live in the country of fresno,California and i want to build a pen for my steer. what do i need to build that will be best for my steer.and how much space or room would it need.
First depends on how large the steer and how long you plan to keep him. A "pen" coule probably be about 30 x 30 feet. HOWEVER, it would be like putting him in jail for the long run. Would suggest a least a 100 x 100 ft area.

The best fence would be a welded pipe and rod fence about 5 feet tall. Cheaper enclosures would be a series of 10 or 12 ft long modular corral panels which are interlocked together. Or, you could make a post and barb wire fence (tight one); however, more of a risk of him getting out.

Ideally, your steer would be happiest with about 1/2 to 1 acre plus a loafing shed (run-in shed) to get out of very bad weather and to have some shade if wanted.

Finally, the steer won't care which county or state you are in as long as you provide a good home for him... :)

Latest posts