house wiring question

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I was running a 13 amp carpet cleaner, the outlets are 15 amp. I had it plugged into an outlet that is wired through a switch (meaning I plug a lamp into it and can use the wall switch to turn the lamp on and off). Something blew, not the breaker. Using a test light I have power going into and out of the switch, but not into the outlet. So I have power going out of the switch into the wire, but not out the wire at the outlet. I have replaced both the outlet and the switch just to be sure, still no change. Also, just so I give the whole picture, on the outlet only the top plug in is on the switch and the bottom is always hot, the band between the hot side of the outlet is cut. This is the only outlet in the house that runs through a switch and all other outlets are good.... I just can't believe the wiring would be the first to go, before a breaker or outlet. The house is 10 years old, some of the outlets have the safety buttons with the reset when they blow, they are all good.

What am I missing? Any help?

Thanks,
Alan

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. The only thing I can think of is there is another outlet somewhere that you havn't checked yet. In my house I have a GFI in the garage that runs all the outlets in the kitchen. First time it triped it took me a week to figure it out. Actually someone else figured it out. About a year later the neighbor came over to ask for help with his outlets. Same thing.

Walt

I think Walt is on track. If you've got it going out of the switch, but not into the outlet, then there is probably another outlet before you get to that one.

Look around, you'll probably find it.

Txwalt":1e387rx4 said:
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. The only thing I can think of is there is another outlet somewhere that you havn't checked yet. In my house I have a GFI in the garage that runs all the outlets in the kitchen. First time it triped it took me a week to figure it out. Actually someone else figured it out. About a year later the neighbor came over to ask for help with his outlets. Same thing.

Walt

That is always the first thing I check.

Yeah, I think Walt hit it square on the head. If the house is only ten YO the electricians probably flat rated you by sticking the wire in the back of the plug instead of forming a loop in the end of the wire and putting it under the screw. I have troubleshot more than one electrical problem like this only to find a wire stuck into the back of the receptacle upstream and not making contact. Look at all the receptacles in the room. More than likely one of them is defective OR you have a GFCI that tripped - maybe in the kitchen.

Yeah, I experienced what lavacarancher said. I brought in an electrician to figure out circuits that weren't working. He started opening up and finding multiple outlets with fried wiring. He explained that when my house was built, they had outlets you could jab the end of wires into without good contact. Eventually if pulling high amps, the juice arcs in the poor connection.

Was a bit scary thinking about the house burning down, so I went around and replaced all the outlets putting a loop of wire under the screw heads.

Latest posts