Hot Wire Training

Help Support CattleToday:

My uncle had a hot wire around the top of his pasture he had his horses in. One horse happened to touch the wire while trying to get a drink; after that he would sneak up on the water tank, he was so sure that is what shocked him.

Our heard had never seen high tensile fence.
When we installed a cross fence for a weaning pasture, I just set a bucket of feed on the other side on the fence. It only took a few of the cattle to get bit and the others don't come near it.
Parmak 12 solar charger with a lot of ground rods !

I like the flagging tape ideal for a small area as that is what I use to get them use to it. On the fence charger the stronger the better, IMO. I have a 100 mile charger on one area and a 200 mile charger on another. As long as they are working I know the cattle are were they suppose to be. Those dead Ash trees the last few years have kelp me hopping as not a lot left to come down thank goodness. I took a lick from the 200 mile charger while taking down a gate last year. I will remember it the rest of my life.

I read somewhere that you should have one joule per mile, not sure if that is true. I have two different fences that where I tried to hook both up to my Parmak deluxe field solar pak 6 it would drop the meter into the yellow. Both fences have about a mile worth of hot wire. As soon as I disconnected one fence it would go back up into the green. So maybe the one joule per mile is true. That charger puts out about 1.6 joules on the high side.

I had a few cows and calves at a small spot next to a creek that started getting out this past month. They had been there all summer. Neighbor's bull got in with them and started testing the fence on the far side of the creek (really really old fence). Needless to say, some of them started getting out into my hay pasture next door and eating their fill, and just waiting for me to put them back in. Knowing it would be a couple of weeks before I could get them moved for winter, I put on my waders and ran a poly wire about 100 yards on the far side of the creek, right on the edge of the water.

A couple of calves were standing near when I hooked up the battery-powered energizer. Just as I connected the positive terminal I heard a loud pop and a calf let out a bawl. I had to smile. No matter how small the joules, if they hit it while standing in water, it will get their attention.

Last edited:
As a follow up, it took all of about 45 minutes for the group of heifers to gain reasonable respect for the polybraid. I saw 3 shocks in that time and they must have told their friends. I've seen about 2 other shocks in the last 3 weeks - 1 was from pushing each other around.

I run a 3 joule solar unit and it keep 9-12kv depending on length and conditions. Pretty happy with it. Now we will do it all over again with the next group. :)

Pushed a girlfriend into my Grandpa's e. Fence. All males laughed, Mom n Grandma were pissed. She has Been my wife for decades. Our time to buy land, put in an electric fence, she asked why I tested voltage? As she pushed me into it! She didn't forget! That said, as a commercial Electrician, reading about these 'tests', hurts. Funny, but ouch. Safety didn't exist.

Pushed a girlfriend into my Grandpa's e. Fence. All males laughed, Mom n Grandma were pissed. She has Been my wife for decades. Our time to buy land, put in an electric fence, she asked why I tested voltage? As she pushed me into it! She didn't forget! That said, as a commercial Electrician, reading about these 'tests', hurts. Funny, but ouch. Safety didn't exist.
I guess you got your comeuppance.

There are three kinds of men: the ones that learn by reading; the few who learn by observation; the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence.

37 yrs. I didn't even remember. Until.. but, it taught 2 grandkids to observe the fence! Kinda like, 1 Boy Scout can train a whole pack NOT to pee on a fence!

Latest posts