Hot wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":u0zr4m8f said:
Cobbkid":u0zr4m8f said:
ok but when yall say us tape do you mean electrical tape or can it just be any kind of tape..

CobbKid

Neither one, hot wire tape is a white (not sure if that's the only color or not) poly tape about 1/4-1/2" wide that is strung similar to wire (I don't know exactly what the difference in stringing it is) and then electrified via a charger.

The white is alot easier to see than any other color I've seen used. The 1/2" to 3/4" tape is sufficient- I've found that it gets the job done. (as opposed to the 1 1/2 - 2" wide) Using the tape stuff sure is nice to put up and take down - have used it for a temporary fence around hay bales and stuff, or to separate a pasture.

Thanks Scout. The only thing I know about it is what I've seen used by the neighbor. He uses it because he has horses and they can see it easier than the regular wire. We use the wire.

jgn":8e48o4w4 said:
Actually you probably wouldn't have any problem keeping them in with just one wire, biggest problem with cattle not being used to a new electric fence is they don't see it and walk right through it before knowing any better. The first time I put up a new electric fence I try to hang surveyors tape on it so they can see the boundary and know where to stop.

Interesting. I am new at this and since you appear to know about electrice fencing I have a few questions. (1.) How high from the ground is the first wire and how high is the second? (2) Also, will the surveyors tape affect the electrical current? (3) I will be cross fencing and will have a straight run of 1290 feet. The solar panels I have found are 5 & 10 mile runs. Can I use the 5 mile run or would this be over kill? (4) How do I make a gate through this wire? (5) I have seen electrical fence wire and tape. Which one in your opinion would be best to use? And, the last question is in your opinion, what is the best way to train cattle to the electric fence? I have 12 head and they follow me around even when I am working in the field and will hang around until I leave the area. They are very friendly. I just haven't decided where I want to cross fence. Sorry for all the questions but I do need the help. Thank you

Kbar":2q4nj3zy said:
jgn":2q4nj3zy said:
Actually you probably wouldn't have any problem keeping them in with just one wire, biggest problem with cattle not being used to a new electric fence is they don't see it and walk right through it before knowing any better. The first time I put up a new electric fence I try to hang surveyors tape on it so they can see the boundary and know where to stop.

Interesting. I am new at this and since you appear to know about electrice fencing I have a few questions. (1.) How high from the ground is the first wire and how high is the second? (2) Also, will the surveyors tape affect the electrical current? (3) I will be cross fencing and will have a straight run of 1290 feet. The solar panels I have found are 5 & 10 mile runs. Can I use the 5 mile run or would this be over kill? (4) How do I make a gate through this wire? (5) I have seen electrical fence wire and tape. Which one in your opinion would be best to use? And, the last question is in your opinion, what is the best way to train cattle to the electric fence? I have 12 head and they follow me around even when I am working in the field and will hang around until I leave the area. They are very friendly. I just haven't decided where I want to cross fence. Sorry for all the questions but I do need the help. Thank you

Kbar

Welcome to CT.

Click on the search button at the top of the page and do a search for "electric fence". It's been discussed many times. Most of your questions will probably be addressed. If you still have unanswered questions, just post them.

Check out this link. They have a free catalog with many good fencing tips. Have quality products & competitive pricing.

http://www.kencove.com/

Regarding energizers, most manufacturers (over)rate them for ideal conditions with no grounding load from green grass, weeds & brush. Unless you want to be continually running a weedeater under your fence to keep it clean, find the most powerful energizer you can afford then buy at least 1 or 2 sizes larger. That's right buy a more powerful one. A wimpy energizer will make life miserable at the worst possible time. I'm sure when Murpy's law was developed, Murphy had an electric fence with a wimpy energizer. The effectiveness of an electric fence in less than favorable conditions is directly related to the power output of the energizers. Remember power-power-power!!!

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Best idea yet jgn, when I rerouted some fence a couple of years back I ran temp. elect. fence hot cold hot cold from top down, the cows were not trained to the electric fence so I tied the serveyer tape every 6-8-ft. when they saw it they came to investigate. They would snif, or even lick :stop: very soon thew were trained
Mac

I don't run more than one wire but usually the wire I put up is around 32" high, someone else that runs 2 can advise you on what they set theirs at. I use 12 ga. hi-tensile on the long run around the outside and then the polywire for any cross fences. Surveyors tape is just plastic or vinyl and won't conduct a ground to short out the fence.They make special handles to make a gate to pass through the fence, ask your salseman about all this they can show you what you need. Lastly like everyone has said buy the most powerful charger you can afford and ground it correctly and you'll be okay.

Latest posts