Hot wether and calving

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Got a greenhorn question. I am a rookie to most any calving but what experiance I have is during pretty nice weather. Usually Feb-April.

Well I have one bagged up right now and due any time and we been hitting above 100 degrees. Wondering if any special concerns a person should have with calving and with a young calf experiencing his or her first few days in triple digit weather?

you really just watch them as your normally would.as well as watch the cow am calf for signs of heatstress.an watch the calf for scours.sometimes the heat will cause them to scour real bad.

aplusmnt":og4hgw58 said:
Got a greenhorn question. I am a rookie to most any calving but what experiance I have is during pretty nice weather. Usually Feb-April.

Well I have one bagged up right now and due any time and we been hitting above 100 degrees. Wondering if any special concerns a person should have with calving and with a young calf experiencing his or her first few days in triple digit weather?

I'd offer them some shade. Maybe you can put them in a pasture with trees or a barn? We've had them calve in very cold weather and that never caused any problems, but I am concerned about the unusually hot weather we're having. Good luck...

My neighbor has some cows on my place and he had one calve two weeks ago in the 100 degree heat. Saw the calf today and he's doing just fine. My place has lots of creek beds with trees and shade and that's where she keeps him most of the time. Funny thing is the neighbor thought she had calved in the spring and coudn't believe it. I told him he needs to learn how to count. :)

aplusmnt":oimyu8bf said:

Well lets see I have a half a dozen that have hit the ground in the last month and they were dry when they got here.
Its common to be over a 100.

Caustic Burno":ci35epji said:
aplusmnt":ci35epji said:

Well lets see I have a half a dozen that have hit the ground in the last month and they were dry when they got here.

Yea, but you had them in a calving barn with Air Conditioning!

aplusmnt":2k5c1sjp said:
Wondering if any special concerns a person should have with calving and with a young calf experiencing his or her first few days in triple digit weather?
You need to be sure the calf gets up and sucks pretty quick. A lot of these late summer calves will be pretty sluggish. A calf might make it three or four days without sucking in the winter, but it won't take long for one to dry up and die this time of year.

I quit early fall (Sept) calving because of the heat. Sometimes a cow will lay her calf in some bushes and won't come back to it until that afternoon.

It might be cool in the morning but when the sun gets straight overhead the calf can get too hot and dehydrate.

you also better watch the flys. if you seee them swarming, nothin worse than one getting blown by flys.

Texan":lv8vkixn said:
aplusmnt":lv8vkixn said:
Wondering if any special concerns a person should have with calving and with a young calf experiencing his or her first few days in triple digit weather?
You need to be sure the calf gets up and sucks pretty quick. A lot of these late summer calves will be pretty sluggish. A calf might make it three or four days without sucking in the winter, but it won't take long for one to dry up and die this time of year.

this time of year birthweights tend to be higher, for some reason most of my summer calves are bulls it seems, the flies are a big problem, and make sure the calf can AND DOES get in the shade. also makes sure it gets on the teat pretty quick.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We have lots of trees and shaded areas.

Figured she would be ok, but wasn't sure if there was some common problem with Hot weather calving.

So far the biggest problem has been no air in the farm truck to check on her. :lol:

Caustic Burno":2qgnlgmo said:
aplusmnt":2qgnlgmo said:

You breed for heat resistance don't you? It might not make a difference, like I said it is a green horn question. But this is an Angus x Maine with a splash of Simmi, should come hairy. Was curious if things like scours are more prevalent in hot weather then they are cooler temps. Also fly control on things like on the naval etc......

aplusmnt":1rqor3hm said:
Caustic Burno":1rqor3hm said:
aplusmnt":1rqor3hm said:

You breed for heat resistance don't you? It might not make a difference, like I said it is a green horn question. But this is an Angus x Maine with a splash of Simmi, should come hairy. Was curious if things like scours are more prevalent in hot weather then they are cooler temps. Also fly control on things like on the naval etc......

Not really if I have to babysit the cow I don't need her. I will find one that can do the job.
It's her job to calf unassited, feed and raise the calf.
I provide the grass and hay.

aplusmnt":1pdezl41 said:
Caustic Burno":1pdezl41 said:
aplusmnt":1pdezl41 said:

Calves can scour and dehydrate and die quicker than you can blink your eye in weather like this. You are right to be concerned.

Alice

Alice":3j80icpd said:
aplusmnt":3j80icpd said:
Caustic Burno":3j80icpd said:
aplusmnt":3j80icpd said:

Calves can scour and dehydrate and die quicker than you can blink your eye in weather like this. You are right to be concerned.

Alice

You need to find better cows then cause 100+ days are not uncommon in the summer.

This pertains to this area and may not be relevant any where else.
In a discussion with the vet today, he said he's been having to pull a lot of cows during the excessive heat wave. He feels that since the cows in this area aren;t particularly well aclimated to the high temps that they're not expressing very strong labor. Part of the reason it may be showing up more this year is because a lot of the cows around here bred back late last year because of the drought and very high temps during the normal breeding season.
Just some misc. thoughts!

dun

That makes a lot of sense, Dun. I'd sure hate to be pulling calves around here as hot as it's been lately.