Hot and dry

Help Support CattleToday:

Thermometer is well in the shade
38121335_10155459860761790_5887294530859827200_n.jpg

Yes, you sweat like hell, you only notice how much when you take a shower and your eyes are burning from the salt on your brow

To the east right now is mighty hazy. I can barely see hills which are normally clear. It isn't close but something is burning. Hopefully they are able to get it out quickly.

1982vett":26l4whl3 said:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

That's a large portion of the US short on rain.

One extreme to the other we are either drowning or cooking.
Got 2 tenths last night first measurable rainfall in several weeks.

Looks like nothing for us today. Line of rain coming through has a hole 5 counties wide. Doubt anything will come of the remaining 20% chance but we're back on for Sunday and Monday. :roll:

For a change, it's been raining slow for about an hour now. Sometimes coming down hard.
Not complaining one bit but I could use some runoff water for the pond too.

Radar shows movement is to the Eastsoutheast and I'm right on the edge of it.

Just the opposite here. I can't recall a day it hasn't rained in the last week and the week before it rained every other day. They are predicting rain every day this week. Grass is deep but I don't know how any of it will be made into hay if it doesn't stop.

I went up to Goldendale for another load yesterday. There hadn't been much fire activity on that side of the Columbia. Well yesterday one started down along highway 14. Fairly strong wind pushing up the gorge. It ran up over the Columbia hills. It didn't get to the houses or farms. Just burnt off rangeland. This morning it looked to be out on the north and east edges which is the way it was running. There was some smoke in the middle. That was stuff burning out in the draws but it was black all the way around that so I doubt it will flare up. Internet said it burned over 11,000 acres. Most of that would be spring pasture that belongs to friends of mine. Fire probably started from a cigarette butt tossed out the window.

Smoke laying a haze here this afternoon. It doesn't smell of smoke so it is from a ways off but I can't see a mile and a half down the valley. It is 96 degrees with a pretty stiff breeze blowing. This morning coming through the Baker valley I looked across the valley. The Elkhorn Mountains which jut up on the other side of the valley to 9,100+ feet were completely obscured from view by the smoke.

Dave":2v649ibg said:
Smoke laying a haze here this afternoon. It doesn't smell of smoke so it is from a ways off but I can't see a mile and a half down the valley. It is 96 degrees with a pretty stiff breeze blowing. This morning coming through the Baker valley I looked across the valley. The Elkhorn Mountains which jut up on the other side of the valley to 9,100+ feet were completely obscured from view by the smoke.

In the 1990s, there was one summer in Helena MT when the fires were bad. The smoke obscured everything. Day after day. It gets old.

High pressure building in from the south. It is bringing smoke from the southern Oregon and California fires. No smoke odor just really hazy. Clear sky but visibility is probably only 4 or 5 miles. This is in country that normally you can see for ever. Temperature is going to be well over 100 degrees the next two days with humidity under 15%. Everyone is holding their breath.

Shower came through yesterday and made spots on the concrete but that's about it. Can see some in the distance most afternoons. Just came in from taking a few calves to tomorrow's sale. It's actually quite nice outside this evening.

Not a drought breaker but we got 1.5 inches this morning which came down hard. Only puddles around are on the asphalt and they won't last long.

Latest posts