horses

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We bought a horse this summer she rode great at first then all of a sudden she wont go anywhere she dont kick or anything all she does is back up anyone know what we can do ive done just about everything

jakeinwisconsin":3ccpdwyy said:
We bought a horse this summer she rode great at first then all of a sudden she wont go anywhere she dont kick or anything all she does is back up anyone know what we can do ive done just about everything
How close is your nearest auction barn.
Bring it there or to a trainer.

Turn around in the saddle and ride like Dudly Do-right did.

What type of bit are you using? A lot of times the bit makes the difference. Otherwise just keep working with him and let him know you are the boss.

Try using a hackamore or bosal--maybe that will help. Also, it could be as simple as it's back or neck 'out of whack' and it can easily be fixed by a 'horse chiropractor'. The reason why it backs up is it might be painful to go forward--i.e. hoof/knee/leg/back, etc problems. Good Luck!

Switch bits, turn around in the saddle, or sell the animal, in my opinion if an adult horse isnt ready to go at all times somebody else can mess with them.

Jake sounds as if your horse has become a little barn sour.If you are not a very experinced rider this animal has you figgured out.I would really suggest that if all is equal that is if the horse is sound in body it needs a little attiude adjustment. This is easy to fix only you will need a few lessons with a good riding instructor,
In these cases I like to start on the ground with my students so they can gain controll, then teach riding and the horse learns to respect them..The owner. Please contact a reliable instructor the effort will be worth it to you and the horse. Cindy

Don't listen to these ol' cattle traders. Nothing but trouble. It could be the bit I know I switched from a snaffle to a curb & all she wanted to do is back up. Also it could be a command your giving her & you don't even know it.
Ellie May

Find a trainer in your area that will help you AND the horse together. Haul to lessons if you have to.

Either the horse has soured for some reason (not riding often enough) or has learned how to outfox the rider. If the horse is worth the effort, take the time to get someone experienced to help you.

jakeinwisconsin":3a1z4mfq said:

In terms of your horse...it sounds like she's having a major authority issue and knows that she can bully you around...First you might wanna check for any kind of lameness, but if she's sound...here's what we did. It may sound inhumane, and mean but it's not if done right...put the horse's normal riding gear on and put an experienced rider on her, and hook her up to the back of a pickup truck. Cue her forward and if she doesn't respond, start applying pressure with the truck, if she responds well, then back off on the truck, but use the truck as leverage to make her understand that she is to go forward when cued and to listen when told to go.

Even better is a little hot lead in the ear and a deep pit barbeque

dun

D.R. Cattle":3p38jsuv said:
You've got brass ba...! Using a truck to pull a horse is crazy. Use spurs. I guarantee you they will work.

Spurs, and a quirt made out of folded up baling wire. Between those two, she'll motivate. Just hang on and watch for low limbs.

Craig-TX

dun":3qjur7lq said:
Even better is a little hot lead in the ear and a deep pit barbeque

dun

D.R. Cattle":3qjur7lq said:
You've got brass ba...! Using a truck to pull a horse is crazy. Use spurs. I guarantee you they will work.

Might be a little stringy, but it will eat. That's what my granddad said. He ate it in France during WWI. He said they got hungry enough that they were proud to have it.

Craig-TX

Some of my salesmen here at the plant are French. They say they ate the hell out of horses over in that country. They've even got horse ranches for raising them to eat just like cattle.

I eat snails. We catch them in the Bahamas when we go over. But they are ocean snails called conch. Darn good I might add. They serve it at any decent seafood house down here.

Campground Cattle":10cthxgf said:
Yea but the French eat snails also. Most of all they aint got a backbone remember 9/11.

I rag on these Frenchies I work with. Most of them say France is just tired of taking a backseat to the USA as a world power. Sorry about your luck Frenchies! If we let the Democrats into office maybe they will be able to have a say. Otherwise, Bush will keep them in the corner where they belong.

Latest posts